Epilogue

"The song we'll be singing is Dancing With a Stranger by Sam Smith and Normani," I said, glancing at Carson who was on stage with me.

       The crowd erupted into an applause and I grinned at Carson, who immediately smiled back. He looked just as excited as I felt.

       Soon, music began to play and Carson began to sing. I stepped back and let Carson own the stage as he walked around, smiling at the crowd. The crowd cheered him on, thrilled and my heart lightened. Becoming a duet with Carson had been one of the best things I'd done.

       Soon, it was my turn to sing and I went to the front of the stage and belted my heart out. Most of the crowd cheered except the few people who still resented me for lying, but I ignored them and focused on the positives. 

       After months of singing at Vandos, I no longer felt scared on stage. I felt like I was at home as I sang to my hundreds of fans, meeting their eyes and feeling full. Not once did I regret letting my secret out. It had been the best thing I'd done.

      Carson and I then met at the centre of the stage and we finished off the song by staring into each other's eyes. We harmonized perfectly and Carson took my hand in his, and I squeezed his hand, letting him know how thankful I was of him. Every day I reminded him of that because it was thanks to him that I got this opportunity.

       When the song ended, we turned to face the crowd again and everyone cheered. We got a standing ovation and I said thank you, leaving the crowd screaming louder. I looked over to where Liam stood and smiled at him, knowing he was my biggest supporter.

       Carson and I then left the stage and we walked to where Jason stood at the side of the restaurant. He was smiling widely, looking proud of us and I smiled shyly. He had been disappointed at first that I had lied to him, but after Carson explained my reasons Jason softened up to me and invited me to be the new singer at Vandos. I had happily agreed.

       "That was beautiful," Jason said. "Carson, you should have told me before that you sing. We could have had you on that stage years ago."

       "I know, but I was scared," Carson said, shrugging. He looked embarrassed. "I thought you wanted me to only focus on the restaurant."

       "I want you to happy. Yes, I wanted you to follow in my footsteps and take over the restaurant one day, but your happiness will always come first. Don't be afraid to follow your heart."

        Carson smiled widely and he moved forward and hugged his dad. My heart grew warm at the sight and I smiled to myself, knowing Carson and I both got what we deserved. After months of hiding what we loved, we got our happily ever after.

*****

       Serena, Liam, Carson and I were at a milkshake shop. We were sitting in a booth with Carson and I were sitting on one side and Serena and Liam sat across from us. Serena sat directly in front of me and she was glancing at me, looking nervous. There was still tension between us after everything we'd been through, but day by day things were getting better.

       "Your performance yesterday was incredible," Liam said, smiling at me. "You're not too bad either, Carson."

       Carson gave Liam a look and Liam laughed. Liam was still warming up to Carson, but it was nice to see that he was trying. Serena on the other hand seemed to be trying her best to forget Carson was with us.

       "Thanks," Carson said. "It's partly cause of you that we're in this position."

       "You're welcome for that," Liam said, grinning. "I'm really happy with everything right now. I wouldn't change anything for the world."