#11 - Love Is Blind

Kaito woke up, feeling groggy and disoriented. He couldn't move a his muscles and made a raspy noise. He couldn't remember what had happened either. All he knew that he and Aoko were heading back home from Ekoda Clock Tower after he had proposed to her.

Then, it all went back.

"Kuroba-san, I see you're awake." a voice said from his left side, professional-like, startling him out of his dazed mind. A doctor? Kaito hummed softly in confirmation as he was sat up with someone's help.

The doctor placed a glass of water on his lips and he drank it gratefully. He spoke up after Kaito finished drinking, explaining what had happened to him.

"You're in the hospital right now, Kuroba-san. You were in a car crash. A truck dismissed the red light at a 4-Junction and hit your car from the passenger side. The truck exploded and thus caused the truck driver to die. As for your companion, Nakamori Aoko.." he trailed off. "She didn't survive the crash. The impact on the passenger side was too hard and she couldn't survive the hit. As for you, it was a miracle you survived. Some pieces of glass got into your eyes so your eyesight are now gone but only temporary. You have a few bruises and scratches on your body. Nothing is broken thankfully."

Kaito felt his chest squeezed in shock as he tuned out the rest of the doctor's words the moment he said Aoko didn't survive the crash. A-Aoko's dead? No. No, that can't be! She and I just got engaged! She couldn't leave me! The 24 year old brunette just sat there, paralysed as he cried for his dead fiancée.

"You have visitors right now, Kuroba-kun. I'll take my leave for now to check up on you later."

He didn't hear the footsteps faded or the new footsteps arrived until a familiar hand settled on top of his shoulder. "Kaito," a croaky voice, that belongs to Nakamori Ginzou, called his name. "I'm sorry," he said, throat clogged with a heavy lumped at the thought of his own dead daughter.

"Kuroba-kun," Saguru said from his right, running his hand through Kaito's hair gently. Hearing the voice of his best friend made him cried loudly, leaning against the blonde's body as his own rocketed with violent sobs. "Hakuba..!" he wailed.

Saguru buried his face in Kaito's hair. "I know, dammit. I know." He clutched onto the body, shielding his fragile heartbroken best friend from everything that could hurt him, being mindful of the IV drips wires around him.

Ginzou and Saguru just watched sadly as Kaito sobbed his heart out, literally broken and hopeless. They felt hurt for what happened to their friend and so-called son but they felt even more hurt that they couldn't do anything about it but to just watch as be there for him as a mental support.

* * *

It's been a month since Kaito had the car crash incident and the funeral that was held 3 days after the incident happened went unattended by Kaito. His mom came home to check up on him but he told her not to worry and that he could take care of himself. He's blind, not crippled.

Saguru occasionally came to stop by once in a while to keep an eye on Kaito. The indigo eyed male had mastered Braille with the help of the blonde male and learnt how to navigate through the house, cook and do chores by himself without a problem.

He had practiced magic by using his remaining senses along with his sixth sense and would regularly go to Beika park with Saguru to perform for the kids there in the evening.

Their pure innocent joy would put a stop to Kaito's depressive state for a few while before he gone back to brood in his house.