Chapter Eleven

Kazuhiko was not a man who felt the need to express himself to others, keeping a shell of himself on display for others to see. His smile's seemed to reach his eyes, but there was really no reflection of happiness and his gestures would always seem a little rehearsed. This too was reflected in his music and not even his parents had been able to breach this facade since he was small. Only Rishu was able to witness his real self without a mask and perhaps this was as Rishu had long since seen through it and persistently tested it for cracks in the past.

But at this time, Kazuhiko could not hide beneath his mask. The sun seemed to beam too brightly and warm, ignoring the reality of a steely overcast sky, directly into his heart.  Into his soul.  He felt as if both were currently too large to be contained within the frame of his body and that the smile stretching across his face could not even begin to express his happiness.  The last time he had felt so full, so brimming with life's abundant energy, was the moment little Kou was ushered into the world.  And now he had another son and he would soon meet that son.  He laughed, his joy spilling from throat and lungs without restraint.  He had not even thought to enquire about that boy's second gender.  It simply didn't matter to him.

He walked into Kou's room, where he heard the child cooing.  The little one was challenging himself, trying to put his small foot, babygrow and all, into his dribble coated mouth.  The nanny did not appear to be around, Kazuhiko assumed that the baby had not long woken from his nap. 

Kou giggled at echoed Kazuhiko's energies as he wiggled joyfully in his daddy's arms as the man scooped him into his hold.  "There's my baby boy!" Kazuhiko spun him gently, before bringing him to his chest, which instantly became wet and warm.  "Want to play the koto with daddy!"  Kou's giggles filled the room once more and he slapped the firm chest he was pressed against enthusiastically.  Kazuhiko took this response as an affirmative, grabbed a toy tambourine then carried his son to his private music room.

Joyful music began to pour from the room, there was no score to follow and an odd mix of random beats broke into the pure notes, but it attracted the attention of others nonetheless.  Even the students that had just begun to leave their lessons all cocked their head's to one side and listened before breaking into whispers; was this the treasured Madam Fumiko playing?  But it did not sound like her usual style.  Old Yabuta, a teacher here, listened with a more practiced ear and recognised the player.  He nodded in approval.  It seemed that Kazuhiko had finally learned to put some heart into his usually soulless sound.

Madam Fumiko had been enjoying a cup of tea in her sunroom, her cousin had come visiting. In this relaxed atmosphere, they had dropped the formalities and spoke to each other by given name.

The music drifted into the room, Madam Fumiko paused briefly as the notes reached her ears, but returned her attentions back to her beverage a heartbeat later. Mrs Hoashi was less discreet. "It sounds as if you have an.. interesting student within your school," the woman stated, politely. As an experienced koto player herself, she could distinguish between artful and skilful playing. However, personally she preferred accuracy over emotional playing, keeping true to the scores, especially those written by her husband's ancestors.

"That is Kazuhiko, Shizue ," Madam Fumiko replied.

Shizue Hoashi inwardly thought that this was why he had become a manager rather than his mother's heir, but wisely kept her peace. All the more reason to have her cousin accept her daughter as the next head of the Fumiko school. Mrs Hoashi had already encouraged her daughter to introduce herself to the school's teachers, the girl should be with them now.

"Speaking of whom," she inquired, "has Kazuhiko given any more thought to taking Kurea as his bride and mother to his little son?"

Madam Fumiko was not in the dark to her cousin's dreams. Indeed, having a talented player like Kurea would be a boon to her family and school, but she would not force him to accept another woman that he did not like. She had seen with her own eyes that things had not been quite right between he and Esme, even before Kou had been born. Of course, that did not mean she would not continue to encourage him to seek a new bride. She did want to teach the next generation of Fumiko's before her fingers became too worn from playing, after all.  Plus it was in the best interests of the family.