Chapter Fourteen

Sprouting from a cluster of polish silver baubles, the three christmas roses drew the eye, before it was drawn along the lengths of thin spruce branches and holly sprigs, the bright red berries upon them contrasting with the dark greens of the holly leaves and spruce needles. And in whimsical addition, loops of thin silver wire gave the arrangement a other worldly feel. It was definitely an ikebana piece made for the season and Kazuhiko could not help but purchase it from the part timer who worked in the florist beneath Jun's apartment as he made his way home late that afternoon.

On returning home and seeing his small boy in the care of the nanny, who attempted to feed the small child his first taste of carrot purée, he went and presented the piece to his mother. He knew the woman had an interest in this sort of thing. She was quite startled at first, but a pleased sort of expression appeared upon her face as she accepted the gift.

"It's quite lovely," she said, appreciating the arrangement. "Where did you get this?"

"A small florist just inside the city," Kazuhiko replied nonchalantly. "I passed the place after having bid goodbye to an old friend today."

"I don't suppose we could hope that the friend happens to be female?" Madam Fumiko interjected.

"Mother," the man replied with a warning tone.

"Alright," the woman sighed before chosing the best spot to display the ikebana piece. The artist had cleverly hidden a moist sponge within a half of a plastic bauble keeping the flowers and sprigs in place and as fresh as they could be. It would be of no pains to keep it damp, before nature had the flowers wilt, but best put in a place where Madam Fumiko could enjoy it and be reminded to water it.

Having made her choice, the woman turned back to her son. "It is not that I do not understand," she continued. "Your father chose Esme thinking that you would make an excellent couple and outstanding parents to the next generation. Who knew that the woman would have us all fooled with her airs and graces?"

"You would have rather I had remained married to her that keep Kou, though," he replied, with slight bitterness in his tone.

"That was then," Madam Fumiko replied.

She couldn't say that she understood Kazuhiko's decision to keep Kou; the baby was an omega and a mark against her son finding a new wife in the future. It was why she introduced her cousin's daughter to him in the first place. The girl was young, it was true, but she seemed capable and did not shy away from the baby's misfortune. However, having received an invitation from Kazuhiko's former in laws to Esme's engagement party had made the woman glad that she had wiped her hands clean of the family. The ink on the divorce papers not dried and yet her former daughter-in-law had already latched upon husband number two, an Alpha Male twice her age from a wealthy background and her family were disgraceful enough to flaunt such and have the audacity to invite them to see for themselves! It was as if they were claiming that they were the injured parties in the divorce! She had not told Kazuhiko about this matter, not wanting to open his recently healed wounds.

"I just wish for you to be happy," the woman continued. "And to have more children." Kazuhiko laughed softly as her true motive became apparent. "Your father and I are not getting any younger."

"You are not so old that you cannot wait," Kazuhiko replied with a slight smile. He wondered how his parents would take the news that he actually had already given them another grandchild? He had thought about this on the way home, but decided to keep the news to himself. He wanted to get to know his son first, to get to know Jun as well. He did not want his mother interfering and he could already guess that she would want to have Keiichi raised here. Having seen the bond between mother and son, Kazuhiko could not consider breaking it and if what Jun had told him was true, it could destroy Jun if he stole their son away. Kazuhiko had done Jun wrong in the past, in this small way he could make some reparation.