Kiss of Darkness 4

Chapter 4

I tried to act strong, I swung my legs out of bed and stood up. I tottered back and forth for a minute before I grasped for the wall. I was wearing my school uniform still, the skirt was crumbled and dirty but that wasn't my first concern.

"You shouldn't move to fast," said Sunflower quietly from her perch on the loft.

"She has to. She needs to do a mission," countered Rose, nodding her head in the direction of the bag and folders that lay on the kitchen counter.

"What mission?" I asked. I wasn't up to doing anything today. I just needed to sleep. Standing against a wall was killing me, how would I make it to the kitchen, let alone do some mission?

"I don't know, I haven't checked yet." Said Rose with an annoyed tone. She got up and moved lithely to the counter and scooped up the folders. Sunflower followed and began to unload food into pantries and cabinets.

Rose walked slowly to my bed, reading one of the files. She closed the folder and threw it on my bed...no it wasn't my bed. It was a bed. I would get out of here soon and this wouldn't my bed. It'd just be A bed.

"You got a Hit-Mission today. Sucks," Rose sympathized. Her eyes went dark, like she was remembering something bad. Then her eyes quickly returned to the depressing gray they normally seemed to be.

"Hit mission?" I questioned. I felt like a child just exploring the world. What's this? What's that? It wasn't like I had much of a choice though.

"Read the damn file. I'm not going to spoon feed you everything. Learn to fend for yourself," Rose hissed. Touchy much?

Rose shook her head, as if to clear her head of some unwanted thought. She mumbled a sorry, and tugged on the mesh sleeve of her shirt. All the black in her outfit matched he. Rose walked away quickly and disappeared behind the kitchen.

Sunflower was humming a song, something beautiful, contrasting sharply against the claustrophobic atmosphere. I picked up the file and began to skim the few pages.

Target: Dylan B.

Age: --

Description: Must be terminated. Priority target.

....last of....brothers.....accident.....killings.....electric chair.....flower meadow.

The words swam around in front of my eyes. I shut the folder and tossed it to the side, sighing.

"You'll probably need help right?" asked Sunflower, from the kitchen. She gave me cute smile that was contagious.

"Yeah," I nodded. I was so confused. What the hell was I supposed to do? What was this file even about?  But despite my confusion, I returned the smile that Sunflower shot me.

"Here, c'mon," said Sunflower. She handed me a crutch that was leaning against the nightstand. She also grabbed my folder which lay on my bed. I grabbed the crutch and followed her light steps behind the kitchen. There were five lockers next to a heavy metal door. Three of them had labels: Rose, Sunflower, and Chrysanthemum.

Rose was the girl with the rose tattoo, made sense. Sunflower....was this girl, the one who told me repeatedly that her name was Sunflower. That made me....Chrysanthemum? My mind returned to the day that I was in school, the kiss. Then I vaguely recalled the last words I had heard, "My Chrysanthemum."

"Chrysanthemum? That's a mouthful. Can I call you Chryssy?" Sunflower looked up at me with big brown eyes.

I stared blankly at her before realizing she was talking to me. "Yeah...sure."

 Then I opened my locker, there was a smile pile of things inside: A heavy vest, a needle filled with some clear liquid, a small knife, a wooden box, and a thick metal ring with lights embedded in it.

As I flipped through the things, examining every piece, Sunflower opened the metal door that stood beside the row of lockers.

"Oh, electric fence, you have to have this on," she explained to me. She took the ring from my hands and put it around my neck. It clicked into place and it started to hum. The metal was cold against my neck, it seemed a lot heavier than before. Then she skipped out the door with a duffel bag swinging at her side.

I gathered the contents of my locker and followed, too afraid to get lost. I hobbled as quickly as my crutch would let me. I fell into pace with Sunflower and we passed several more heavy looking doors. Then at the end of the hall, Sunflower opened the door that led to a garage. There was a long black limo sitting in the garage.

I followed Sunflower into the limo to see that Rose was already there, waiting. 

As I got into the car, Rose threw a duffel bag at me. "Here"

In an attempt to grab the bag, I dropped the other things. The wooden box fell out of my reach as the car started backing out of the garage. Curious, I opened the box. Inside, lay a single pistol.