Chapter 19

This past week has been absolutely dreadful. I've gotten yelled at more times than I can count at this point. The queen's been terribly stressed out this whole week, due to the wedding quickly approaching. And as always, she takes it out on me. Whether it be screaming at me for no reason, or getting out her leather belt because she needs to let off some steam. I just sit there numbly as she uses every insult in the book, making sure that I feel as worthless as the dirt I walk on.

Vicky is being over worked everyday because the royals are having giant banquets every night. Cara and Alice have been very tired because of all this work. I can see the bags under their eyes as they hand wash the plethora of clothes that have been given to us by Sir Louis and Lady Adora.

"This sucks." Cara states, roughly scrubbing Lady Adora's enormous pink dress.

"Tell me about it," Alice comments, putting down another large basket of clothes.

"This is absolutely ridiculous! We're not slaves, here! We've been working countless hours! The least they could do is give us a decent meal, not some flavorless oat meal." Cara sounds very frustrated, as she looks like she is about to throw that dress in the trash.

"What can we do, guys?" I chime in, receiving a shrug from the both of them.

"I just hope this wedding comes quickly. I don't know if I can take another week of this." Alice gives me an apologetic expression as Cara expresses her grief.

Every time I hear mention of the royal wedding, my chest clenches and my stomach starts to churn. I'm not sure why I feel this way. There's no reason to! Maybe it's because every time I see him, he's wearing his fake smile, if he evens smiles at all. I haven't seen much of him this week, just glimpses. I occasionally go to the window to see if he's there, but I get disappointed by the empty spot. From what I hear, he's been preparing for the wedding, as well as spending some time with Lady Adora.

There's something about our future heir that doesn't sit well in my stomach. Maybe it's the way she speaks, with her strangely soft voice. Maybe it's the way she does certain things, like how she insults people, but makes it as if she is trying to 'help'. But, I don't want to feel this way toward our future Queen! I know I should think 'highly' of her, but something about her makes me not want to.

"Lily!" Cara calls, waving her hand in front of my eyes.

"Oh, um, sorry guys. What happened?" She playfully rolls her eyes at me.

"Girl, you are forever going to be stuck in your thoughts!"

I give a slight chuckle to her true remark. I've always been this way, but it's just who I am. And they fully know that.

"Alright ladies, I need to go! I need to dust a hallway, then I'm on my way home. Today is granny's birthday!" Alice says, tightly tying on her apron.

"Oh my goodness, really?! What are you guys doing?" Cara exclaims, almost dropping the cleaning solution.

"We're having a little celebration tonight, and you girls are obviously invited!"

We've known granny for a very long time. She is the sweetest old woman you will ever meet! Unfortunately, she has been sick for a long time. But that never stopped her from doing the things she loves, which is making and selling clothes. Just recently, she was put on bed rest. Because of which, I don't see her as much as I would like to. But when I do, I cherish every second of it. Alice is the one that takes care of her, which she does a dang good job of doing so.

"I'll be there a little late, is that okay? I have a couple of chores to do at home. Plus, I need to run it by my parents, but I'm sure I'll be able to make it." Cara informs.

"Yay!! Lily, how about you?"

For a split second, I think about all the work I have to do today. I then quickly push it to the very back of my mind. No matter how much work I have, I will go to that celebration! Alice, Cara, and Granny are too important to me for work to get in the way.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"Great! See you girls tonight!" Alice waves as she enters the castle.

"Well, I better get going if I want to make it." I say to Cara, who is now hanging the dress.

"Okay. But, Lily... are you alright? You've been spacing out a lot more than usual."

I wish I could tell you, Cara.

"Yeah! I've just been really stressed out lately." Though she doesn't look very convinced, she accepts it.

"MAID!!!"

"Gotta go! See you tonight!"

With that, I rush to the throne room where the Queen is waiting on her enormous red and gold throne. Out of instinct, I kneel before her.

"Maid, Lady Adora and I have a meeting to go to later on tonight. When we get back, I better see the lobby sparkle and make sure that my bathroom does not have any smudges."

I nod at her command, and rush out of there.

The only way to get to granny's birthday celebration is to sneak out when Queen Madia is gone. I just have to be back in time to clean up before she returns. I look outside to see that the sun is already setting, which means that she's leaving promptly. Which also means that I have a lot to get done before the sun sets.

"Mona, make sure that Lady Adora's linens are washed before we get back." Queen Madia commands as she steps into the slick wooden carriage.

"Of course, madam." Mona replies, helping Lady Adora get inside. Great, Mona is working tonight. That's exactly what I needed. The horses start to trot away, eventually passing the large gates.

"Maid, make sure that gets done." She then sashays her way to the door, giving me a sly smirk as she walks by.

I wait for her to fully immerse herself inside before I bolt in. I've already told Vicky about my whereabouts for the next couple hours. Despite my efforts, she insisted on covering for me if it be necessary.

I dash into my room to put on a very important brown sweater that was given to me by a sweet heart of a prince. There's going to be a chill in the air tonight, as it is becoming very cold.

I tiptoe my way to the back exit, quietly closing the door. Running through the shadows, I turn the corner, only to clash into another person. The figure and I fall onto the cold hard ground, with the person landing right on top of me. This person is dressed all in black, with a black beanie to match. It's a bit strange that there is someone back here. Not many people know this area exists, or are even allowed to step foot here...

Did this person follow me here?

Author's Note:

What is up, Lovelies? I hope y'all liked this weeks chapter! I enjoyed writing it! :D

 As always, remember that you are lovely and to let it shine wherever you go!

~Love