Nothing Really Changed

"You idiot! I was so scared." I punched him in the arm. 

"I couldn't resist, you looked so small and cute." His brown eyes sparkled mischievously.

Suddenly I felt shy. My face felt hot, and I could feel my cheeks blushing. His piercing gaze seemed to see right through me, and for a moment I felt he could read every thought that was whirling through my mind. 

"Hey, what's the matter, honey?" he asked, tilting my chin towards him with a finger. 

"Nothing," I blushed. "It's, it's just that I'm seeing you and everything else after so many years and I'm kind of still in shock. But i still feel I've been here the whole time."

He stared intently at me. "You have been here the whole time."

I looked back at him confused. "I have?"

He smiled. "Yes, right here in my heart."

I looked down, unable to stop the smile that crept up on my face. To my own surprise I hugged him, feeling safe and happy.

After a moment, he hugged me back, rubbing my back and stroking my hair. 

"You have absolutely no idea how much I wished you'd come back," he whispered into my hair. 

"I'm here now," I whispered back into his chest, and I could sense the smile forming on his lips. 

"Do you still play basketball?" I asked him, pulling away.

"What? Of course. I'm probably loads better than you by now." he replied grinning. 

"You're not," I said, rolling my eyes. 

"You're on for tonight. Come to the court at eight tonight, and we'll see, baby."

"Don't call me that."

"I'll call you what I like." He smiled. He swam away from me, and as he got out of the pool, he winked at me before walking away. 

"Whoever loses tonight will have to do anything the other one wants them to!" I yelled out. I was so winning. I smiled, dreaming about embarrassing him tonight. I got out of the pool too, and dried myself before pulling on my dress. 

I almost walked away from the pool before the whirlwind flung itself on me. 

"Hey!!! Where do you think you're going?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mira, this nasty surprise is getting old," I giggled. 

"What? No! The last time I did this was four years ago. Now sit down, I gotta talk to you." She sounded suddenly serious.

I sat down beside her on one of the benches beside the pool. There was a green canopy above us, and flowers grew around us in pots. 

"Yes? What is it?" I asked, turning to look at her. 

"It's Trish."

My eyes widened in surprise. Trish was his best friend. Me, Mira, Trish, and Arhaan (he) had been inseparable. 

"Oh, he's still here?" I asked.

"Yes," she nodded. "Well, I think he likes me."

My eyes widened in surprise. 

"What? No way! I'm so happy for you!"

She smiled. That baby smile that me, Arhaan and Trish used to make fun of her for. Mira hugged me.

"Thanks, Alia. I really needed to confide in someone. I'm so glad you're back."

I nodded. 

We spent the afternoon swimming, surrounded by the six tall white apartment buildings and the parks and the tennis and basketball courts. Only one awkward thing happened. When we were later sitting by the park benches, I glanced up to Arhaan's balcony instinctively, like I used to do everyday before to wave at him. 

Today I saw him standing high up there. I couldn't see his face clearly of course, but I had the distinct feeling that he was staring right at me from his balcony. 

I brushed the uncomfortable feeling away. I would so win tonight, and then we'd see who's gonna be uncomfortable. Haha.