XXIII | You Like Rainy Days Too?

Sophia didn't think much of it that time and replied, "Izzy caught a cold. She's not feeling too good, so she didn't want to come out."

He nodded calmly as though it was nothing, but his heart clenched in pain.

At that time, she was already someone he could not love, even if he was worried, he had no right to visit or care about her. In the end, he drove through the silent night, sitting outside the Davis family's mansion, guarding till the next morning before driving off.

He knew that Isabelle would always be a burden he could not carry but yet he could not let go.

Even though at that time they no longer were in contact, he still wanted to know how she was living.

Just like that, he continued to talk to Sophia to get snippets of information... Unknowingly, it lasted for four years, until the day James's mother Mrs. Williams came to him. She wanted him to act as James and marry Isabelle... Only then did he stop talking to Sophia.

Ever since the incident five years ago, he knew that Isabelle was someone he could never love, so he started to treat her coldly, but his love never wavered. He never thought of trying to love someone else or settling with someone more suitable.

Hence, when he heard Sophia telling Isabelle that he might be interested in her and could even potentially become her boyfriend, he wasn't just infuriated but worried as well.

He was worried that Isabelle would misunderstand him, think he liked her sister.

That day, he didn't return back to the set but waited directly at the hotel. Once Isabelle went it, he immediately joined Sophia in her car.

He was at the peak of his fury then, saying harsh and offensive words to her. But it was all for the best, if he couldn't get together with her, he wanted to make it clear to her.

"Knock! Knock! Knock!"

The sudden knock on the door jolted Alexander out of his daze. He arranged his expression before gracefully standing up to open the door.

According to Alexander's instructions, his assistant had gone to find Isabelle, telling her that Mr. Smith wanted to see her upstairs. Before leaving, the assistant hesitated before adding, "Miss Davis, Mr. Smith hasn't eaten since afternoon... He has been working the entire time and only now got some free time. I asked him if he wanted to eat but he refused, yet he'll have a long day tomorrow. Could you get him to eat a little later?"

Isabelle nodded, acknowledging his words, but once Alexander's assistant left, her smile soon faded.

For the entire afternoon, her mind was in a mess, circling around Sophia and Alexander. According to her sister, she seemed to have a good relationship with Alexander.

At the beginning, Isabelle had agreed to Mrs. Williams's request, hoping that after living together for a long time, sparks would fly between her and Alexander. But if he were to end up with Sophia, she wouldn't have a chance at all...

Her face sank, turning desolate. She stood at the entrance of the hotel for a long while before returning to her room. After finding her phone, she prepared to head up. Just then, Alexander's assistant called, passing on his instructions. She called the hotel restaurant's number to order a meal for supper.

This was the peak period where crew members were often in the elevator, so there was a high chance that she would meet someone she knew. Afraid to be seen, Isabelle took the piping hot meal to the stairs.

Just then, Annabelle received a call from a producer, but since she was having a mini gathering in her room, she left to the corridor to pick her call. The producer had a suggestive tone and she had to coax him.

There were constantly people walking around in the corridor so she retreated to the emergency staircase. But just as she was about to push open the door, she caught sight of Isabelle through the small glass. She was holding a tray of food and climbing up.

Annabelle was filled with doubt, who would she be bringing the supper to?

She hesitated slightly before ending the call with the producer. Pushing open the door, she followed Isabelle silently.

Alexander opened the door, and when he saw Isabelle, he turned to walk in wordlessly.

-

Isabelle took a deep breath at the door. Then in large strides, she walked into the room, closing the door behind herself.

Alexander seemed to have entered the shower as streaming water could be heard. Isabelle placed the supper she had bought onto an empty space on the coffee table in front of the sofa. She then reached out to arrange the documents and magazines that were carelessly strewn around the small table. She hugged the stack and was about to put it on the side when the shower door opened. Alexander looked straight at her.

Isabelle tightened her grip on the stack as she explained softly, "Your assistant mentioned that you haven't eaten so I got you some supper."