Chapter Fourteen - Somethings Don't Wash Off

The neon blue veil shimmered away, and I fell into a hill of snow, the freezing cold snow melted on my skin and dripped through my clothes sending shivers down my spine. As I picked myself off the snow, I searched around for any of the others and beside me, Ellie lays groaning.

"Hey," I said as I helped to her feet. "are you okay?"

"I hate groups." She said as she held on to my shoulder. In the distance, Adam and Megan walked towards us. Snow was layered in their hair like they had been living on this mountain for days

"Where's Stephy?" I said as I started to go into a panic.

"Don't piss yourself, I'm fine." She said as she came from behind us, beating the snow off her clothes.

"Great we're all here. Do we know which way the base is?" I asked as I hugged my body.

"We're going up, hopefully, it won't take long," Adam said as he started his ascent up the incline and we followed close behind. As we walked up to the mountain-side I started to feel like something was wrong, but I wasn't quite sure what. Stephy looked uncomfortable, her hands were buried deep inside of her pockets and her cheeks were turning red in the brittle wind. Ellie trudged through the snow, she didn't seem too bothered about the cold nor did Adam, but Megan seemed to be struggling the most, her cheeks were the sets of stoplights and she shook like there was an earthquake underneath her. My hands were frozen rock solid and the cold air set my nose on fire, I hugged my body harder trying to gather whatever warmth I could until it hit me.

"Guys somethings wrong!" I shouted.

"Shut up, Oliver," Adam whispered violently. "They'll hear us coming if you keep shouting."

"No, something is really wrong. I'm Cold." I said.

"Aren't you glad you have the winter coat now," Stephy remarked.

"That's not the point. I am freezing cold, that's not normal. I think my powers aren't working." I said shakily.

"Or it's just really cold. We need to get moving." Adam said with venom.

"Use your powers then. Humour me." I said

"Okay, fine." He lifted up a hand at first sparks formed but they sizzled away, he tried again but nothing happened. He stared at his hand as it slowly curled into a fist.

"What t-t-the hell is happening?" Megan asked, stuttering like a car that won't start. She looked extra panicked, her nails dug into her jacket leaving indentations in them.

"They have anti-Amp equipment, DAMNIT!" Adam shouted as he kicked a rock.

"Adam, relax. We need to be quiet and we can still salvage this." Ellie said as she went to her brother and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"How are we supposed to get passed the guards, they outnumber us," Adam growled.

"Maybe we should turn around. At least to rethink how do this." Stephy started.

"Stephy, there is no way we can't turn back now. We're powerless and there is no way I'm walking down this mountain, it would also take to long. I say we fight." Ellie said with a little force.

"Guys, k-k-keep q-q-quite. Think I can hear s-s-someone coming." Megan stuttered from beside me, but everyone locked in conversation and couldn't hear her. I looked around and heard the muffled sound of snow crunching under someone's feet, I tried to get their attention without raising my voice, but they didn't notice me either. I bent over and patted the snow into a ball, then I threw it at Adam's chest which definitely got his attention. Before he could shout at me, I placed a finger over my mouth and pointed to where the sound was coming from, the sound of which had since gotten louder. They all seemed to get the message and we all hide behind rocks. Adam and Ellie hide behind the furthest rock, Adam pulled out his javelin from his bag, Ellie held out two fans in her hands. Stephy ran behind another rock opposite them. Megan and I hid behind the closest rock, Megan tried to grab her obsidian escrima sticks at her side, but she was shaking too much to even get a grip on them. I chucked my bag down and pulled out the chain that had been laying unused and yearning for action. I could feel a presence enter the clearing, the snow crunched unevenly meaning there was more than one person around us.