TWO

Busting through the double doors I find myself truly smiling for the first time in a long time. Reaching up I pull my hair out of the neat bun and let the sun kissed blonde locks cascade freely down by back. Sprinting to keep up with the rest of dauntless I come to a screeching halt below the towering stilts of the train tracks. I watch as the people of dauntless begin to ascend the rusty orange support columns. Following suit, I grab hold of a rod protruding from the column about three feet above me. Hauling myself upwards I promptly discover that my injuries Dislike like the amount of physical activity I am currently involved in. At the top I situate my quivering hands on my knees as I try to gain control over the immense pain radiating through my body. I forfeit my attempts when I hear someone yell that the train is arriving. Standing up straight I look to my left to see the train barreling down the tracks. Half expecting the train to stop I stand motionless. After coming to the conclusion that it will not stop or decelerate, I begin to panic. Glancing to my right I observe that the rest of dauntless is hustling to launch themselves onto the speeding train.

Seriously. Dauntless sure has a way of making sure you question your own sanity.

Sprinting once again I accelerate to as fast as my frail body will carry me. As the end of the narrow platform approaches, I reach out and seize the metal handle swinging myself inside. I wince as the hard metal of the train car's floor comes into contact with my obliterated back. The static electricity of a hand landing on my shoulder causes me to involuntarily flinch.

"Are you alright?" a petite girl with fiery red hair inquiries.

"I'm alright, Just a little out of breath." I retort trying to quell her concern.

"I'm Sarah." She announces jutting out her hand for me to shake.

"Tatum." I return grasping her hand firmly in mine.

"Nice to meet you." She smiles sweetly down at me.

We devote the remainder of the ride conversing and without a doubt I can see her as being someone I can trust. Maybe I can even go as far as to say I can see her becoming a good friend. She may have come from Amity, but she exudes so much confidence and strength that I have no doubt that she will assimilate into dauntless just fine. Our joyous conversation is interrupted by a tall, slender, olive skinned woman informing us it is time to jump. I glance back to Sarah with bewilderment etched onto my face. Rising to our feet we ever so carefully poke our heads out of the door. We witness a series of dauntless members leaping from the train cars and onto a gravel covered roof. the most shocking thing about this whole ordeal is the ten-foot gap that separates this moving train from our target. Sending one last hesitant glance in Sarah's direction I take her hand in mine dragging her to the opposite wall of the train car.

"On the count of three." I command.

"one" I shout over the roar of the engine.

"two." She supplies setting a determined look on her face.

"three" We shout in unison as we take off running full force toward the door where we jump.

As I fly through the air with Sarah's hand still grasped tightly in my own, I feel weightless and alive. Landing on the roof top however has me feeling like I was just run over by a Mack truck and I am knocking on deaths door. Cursing under my breath I reposition myself, so I am looking directly at a laughing Sarah. I give her a dumbfounded look and am about to speak when a gravelly male voice cuts through the air like a million knives.

"Alright listen up."

My head snaps up in the direction of the voice and I spot a tall muscular man with slicked back hair, tattoos covering his neck and arms, and two silver studs positioned almost perfectly above his right eyebrow. Making my way to my feet I follow Sarah over to the rest of the sea of initiates.