chapter thirteen: bare

although mike had protested, the gang had decided to have the celebration at starlings house. they decided this because starling had a pool, and just because it was the end of summer doesn't mean it wasn't hot.

mike didn't even know why starling was invited. this was a party-only type thing. she showed up out of nowhere and suddenly becomes really good friends with el? hawkin high schools it-girl and the runaway experiment? it seemed sketchy. he trusted eleven, but he didn't trust starling.

starling laid by the poolside on top of a colorful towel. her pink heart-shaped sunglasses blocked the harsh, bright glares of the sun as she listened to the sounds around her. laughter and splashing were heard in her left ear as the adults that were conversing to the side were heard in her right ear.

she senses a presence next to her and she turns her head to see steve smiling back at her.

"hey lingling, how you doing?" he sits crisscrossed and holds out a can of coke.

she sits up and shifts her position so she's cross legged in front of steve, cautiously grabbing ahold of the drink.

"thanks steve-o. wish i had something stronger, mike has been stealing jane away from me all day." she sighed, pointing behind her. steve leaned over to see mike and el talking, sitting on the ledge with their legs dipped in the water.

steve rose an eyebrow before looking back towards starling, "sorry kid, dustin told me i'm not allowed to give relationship advice anymore."

starling watched as steve stood up to return to where robin was chilling. she was in the shade because she was too lazy to put sunscreen on.

she sighed and stood up as well, turning around and seeing max, dustin, lucas, and will playing chicken fight. she giggled as she watched dustin fall off of lucas's shoulders, a fight breaking out between the two boys.

she looked up toward el to find her already looking at her. she smiled and gave a small wave, to which the younger girl returned shyly. her cheeks were red, and mike thought it was because of him. el ogled at starlings body before finally turning away.

she chugged down her coke, some of the brown liquid dripping down her chin, before setting it down and jumping inside the pool.

——

the sun was slowly fading away once the adults had started to say bye to the kids. they bid them to have fun and to stay safe. starling wasn't anticipating a giant sleepover, and neither did robin, nor lorraine, but it had happened on a split second decision suggested by max and the rest went along with it.

hopper patted starling on the back before leaving the house and getting inside his police cruiser. starling watched him drive away and closed the door, making sure to lock it.

she went back outside and saw that everyone was staring at her.

"welp, they're gone." she shrugged. this prompted steve to turn up the radio and to drag robin up off the chair she had been sat in all day.

they started to dance and everyone else had followed suit. starling quickly grabbed elevens hand and dragged her to the shed that was out of view from everyone else.

"hi." eleven whispered once they finally stopped scattering.

"long time no see." starling greeted sarcastically as she wrapped one arm around her waist.

"sorry, mike's very talkative." jane pouts before going on her tippy toes again to press a soft kiss against starlings lips, "i missed you. you look really good in.. this.."