Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Ethan arrived at the office and walked into the meeting room where his employees were already seated. They started the meeting discussing the major issue regarding one of their chain hotel in Paris and their long term supplier partner. There was a sudden notable increase of price from the supplier which was not informed prior their monthly meeting.

"Does the other hotels in Paris experience similar cases?" He asked.

"No, sir. Only Loyd Hotel and we also cross-checked with other supplier and they are able to give us the similar things with a much lower price. However, due to contract with them, we need your approval to switch supplier sir." One of his employer explained. He did not replied but took out his phone and called his fellow friend the supplier.

"Bonjour, Lance. Comment ca va? Oui... Je veux vous demander concernant le prix. Qu'est-il arrive? Oui. Je vois. Ce bâtard! Ne lui fais pas confiance. Bien sûr que non. Oui, je viendrai.. Au revoir."

(Hello, Lance. How are you? Yes... I want to ask you regarding the pricing. What happened? Yes. I see. That bastard! Don't trust him. Of course not. Yes, I'll come. Bye.)

"That bastard Cale again!" He muttered as soon as he switched off the phone and cursed.

"Contact our supplier in Paris again and hold the quotation till next week." They continued the meeting as he made straightforward and direct decision, cutting the meeting short and brief. He checked and signed some documents before it's time to leave. He made his way to the grave site where the funeral ceremony will be held. He saw Audrey in her modest black dress standing beside her brother holding onto his arms. Although it was her brother, he wished that she would hold his arms instead. He stood at the back allowing family members to pay their respects. The priest commenced the ceremony with his speech. The family and friends started to dispersed as the ceremony ended leaving Audrey kneeling beside the site. She bid her goodbyes as he stood behind her in a distant.

"Porquoi tu me quitte, Mamie? J'ai si peur. Je serai si seul sans toi pour me réconforter. J'ai besoin de toi pour me tenir à nouveau les mains. Tu me manques, Mami. Je promets de vivre comme tu m'as appris. Je ferai de mon mieux pour vous render fier. Je t'aime tellement."

(Why do you leave me, grandma? I'm so scared. I'll be so lonely without you to comfort me anymore. I need you to hold my hands again. I miss you, grandma. I promise to live life as you taught me. I will try my best to make you proud. I love you so much.)

She expressed her farewells and stood up to see Ethan standing in front of her. She immediately hugged him unable to hold her tears and wept. He held her close offering comfort as she cried. She loosen her arms as her cry died down and thanked him. They both left and drove towards her home for the family and friends gathering. They arrived and as soon as she stepped out of the car, Ava rushed towards her and gave her comforting embrace.

"I came as soon I can. I'm sorry for your loss, Dree. I know how much your grandma means to you." She offered her condolences and they went inside the simple house. She was about to enter the house when she saw another fancy car pulling outside her curb. She waited to see who the person was and saw Cale stepping out.

"I told my boss that I had to take leave today and he somehow found out about you." Ava whispered to Audrey who was giving her the questioning look.

"Deepest condolences, my dear. I'm sorry I couldn't attend the ceremony earlier." Cale said giving her a comforting hug when Ethan interrupted and stepped in.

"What the hell are you doing here, Cale! Just leave already!" He snapped glaring at Cale.

"Why? I am here to pay my respect, of course. Why do you have to act so cynical. I do care about Audrey dearly." He replied back as they continued to argue outside her parents' home.

"Stop it! Both of you! Either you stop right now or leave!" She snarled and stomped inside the house leaving the two men stunned by her bold action. They continued to bicker when Ethan decided to walk away from him for Audrey's sake. He was annoyed enough to know that he was responsible for the trouble in the Loyd hotel in Paris, then to see him here in Audrey's home truly infuriated him. Cale walked inside the house and stayed for a few moment before he hugged Audrey once more and left while Ethan's eyes watched and scowled. After a while, Ethan excused himself to return to the office where his meetings and work were adjourned.