Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"How was your dad doing, Dree?" Ava asked watching her friend pour the lemon herb dressing on the salad, tossing them.

"He's doing fine. I just met him last Sunday. My parents are planning to go on a vacation next month since they've not had a vacation just the two of them since forever. Are you still going for the blind date, tonight?" Audrey replied placing the salad into the lunchboxes.

"Yeah, I suppose why not. Leena said that he's quite a decent guy so what the hell. Maybe by then you or Ethan could finally confess your love for each other and we can do a double date!" She said excitedly passing the paper bag to her friend who was trying to reach it.

"Yeah right. I can't even stop blushing being alone with him and you expect me to confess my feelings? Gosh I think I'd faint before it happen." She sighed taking out the roasted chicken from the oven and wrapping it with aluminium foil.

"You're going through all these trouble for a simple dinner, huh?"

"He doesn't know that I'm coming tonight, I just want to surprise him. He seemed distressed for the past few days and he wouldn't share anything about it. Just trying to brighten his mood. After all, he did so much when Mamie past away, this is the least I can do for him." She placed the chicken in the paper bag and went inside her room to take a quick shower and change into a simple ivory oversized sweater with black skinny jeans. She took the paper bags and wished her friend good luck for the blind date. Drove and parked her van in front of the Loyd Hotel, walked towards the receptionist where she was greeted.

"Good evening, Patrick, so have you tried the recipe I gave you the last time? How did it go?" She greeted the friendly receptionist who has been working there for almost fifteen years.

"Good evening, Miss bouquet. Yes, and my wife thought I couldn't cook! We had a great night thank you so much for the recipe Miss Bouquet." He responded.

"Glad I can help. So, is Ethan at home ?" She asked.

"Yes, Mr Loyd just arrived a few minutes ago." He called to his penthouse and directed her to the penthouse.

"Good evening Miss Bouquet, Mr Loyd is still in his study. However, today might not be a perfect time to visit, Miss. But I could not just send you home without offering you a cup of tea, can I?" Clarence offered giving her the best hospitality as butler could offer.

"Ohh, that's alright Clarence, anyway it's my fault, I did not tell him that I was coming. I'll just leave this and please make sure he eats his dinner, alright Clarence?" She was about to head for the door when she heard a grunt and clattering sound of a glass broken from his office. Instinctively, she looked at Clarence and head to his office.

"Ethan, are you alright?" She knocked on the door but there was no answer. Thus, she pushed open the door and was shocked to see the huge mess. The room was dark with the curtains closed and the stench of alcohol was very strong. There were books, papers and other things that were scattered on the floor. She tried to find Ethan who was nowhere to be seen. Then, she saw a silhouette of a person crouched down on the floor beside the oak wood table. She walked closer to him taking a better view and saw his hand still holding the scotch bottle, there were shattered glass on the floor beside him.

"Ethan, what happen? Are you alright?" She kneeled on the floor beside him. Slowly he lifted his head staring blankly at her. He's drunk, very drunk. She held her hand out reaching for his hand but felt that his hands was wet. Taking a closer look and realized that there was blood on his hands.

"Ethan! Your hands are bleeding! Are you, alright?" She panicked and studied other parts of his body making sure he was not hurt elsewhere. He merely moved an inch as she tried to pull him up.

"Get out! I told you, Clarence! I don't wanna be disturbed! You're fired! Clarence!" He slurred being obviously drunk and not realizing that he mistaken Audrey for Clarence in the darkened room and slowly closed his eyes, falling asleep. She looked back at Clarence and he gave her an apologetic look then came forth helping Ethan to his bedroom. She tend to his wounded knuckles, making sure to clear all the glass fragments from his hands before putting medicine and wrapped bandage around it. She left Ethan to rest and walked out the room looking at Clarence.

"What's going on Clarence? Clearly something happened there." She looked at him hoping to get some explanations.

"It's a long story, Miss Bouquet. Every year around this time, Mr Loyd would always be depressed reminded of his mother's death. Thus, each year he would drown himself in alcohol. I was glad to know that you came and thought that maybe with you being here might help him this time, but obviously it's too late. My apologies, Miss Bouquet, I did not intend you to see him in this state. Mr Loyd is a great person, I can testify on that personally. It's just that, he had gone through so much in the past that really no child should went through." He explained knowing that Clarence had worked for him since he was young.

"When did his mother passed away? No wonder I never saw his mother."

"She died when he was around fifteen years old. There's more to the story but it really isn't my place to elaborate further. Perhaps when Mr Loyd is ready, he might explain everything to you." He responded knowing that the loss of his mother which happened almost fifteen years ago does not add up to why he was acting that way each year. She thought that the loss of her grandmother was too much, but not enough to made her be out of control. She had learnt to accept and move on with life. Walking back into his room, she wanted to make sure he was fine before she leaves. Faintly, she saw him mumbling and turning like he was having a nightmare. Reaching for him, she tried to calm him down, brushing his hair, hoping to let him know that she was there for him.

"Don't leave me..." He mumbled in his dream grabbing her arm. She knew he was just dreaming but she stayed taking a chair to his bedside and sat beside him wondering what he was dreaming, what was his nightmare about, wanting to understand his past, his fear.