Chapter 15 - Nerissa

His lips are moving, yet everything around her is frozen in time. Golden specs of dust fly in the air, as complete void wraps them both in nothingness. Soon, his mouth stops forming words, his bottomless eyes examining the vastness of the sky. His silence is compelling her to glance at him, yet the sight of Roone touching the stars is something out of her imagination. He looks like a fallen angel trying to reach Heaven again. Her eyes are scanning hungrily all of his features, when a particular mark on his wrist captivates her attention. There it is, black ink on olive skin, the number 99 stands out above what looks like a part of a puzzle. Some of the shapes are thicker than the others, creating complicated patterns down on his arm. Unaware she was gawking, Nerissa sighs in frustration when he swiftly hides them all behind the thin fabric of his sleeve. He jumps to his feet, then puffing the air out from his lungs, he invites her back inside. How can someone be so serene when a dangerous enemy like Iron Guard is lurking on the city streets? She wonders, hesitant and still puzzled by his shocking revelation. The city gleams in the background, an infinite sea of concrete and steel, as he disappears underneath the roof.

Her entire life has been turned upside down since she met him. However, no matter how deep her mind is caught in the whirl of bloodthirsty enemies and magic stars, a flicker of hope begins to form in her chest. With her legs like jelly, she can barely stand, yet the thought that she has another chance of seeing Susan again is more than enough for her to go on. She has no clue who Iron Guard is, but as long as it is not the guards, there must be another chance.

'What are we waiting for? We must go back and look for her.' She demands impatiently as soon as she jumps off the ladder and into the loft. 'Maybe she's somewhere out there, laying injured, or maybe...', her frail voice starts trembling, scared of the dark thought that crossed her mind. Then, biting her nails, she continues holding on to the thin thread of hope. '...maybe they didn't find what they were looking for and took Susan instead'.

The last thought pains her heart. Saying it out loud, somehow makes it more real and pressing. However, as long as she can breathe, it means there is still time.

She can't help but wonder why the Supreme Government lied to them about the dangers outside the walls. What an ignorant life they've been living! Seeing that Roone didn't budge an inch, she loses her temper, the hundredth time that day.

'Let's go!' She yells at him, her voice hysterical and pleading.

Driven by desire only and not really thinking it through, her eyes are looking for the way out. She can't believe he is standing there and looking at her like she's gone insane.

Before she could run away, Roone hurries from behind the counter and stops her on time. Grabbing her hand, he turns her around until she fully faces him, their closeness igniting old flames that have been burning in silence. He shakes them off immediately, concentrating on how to make her see reason.

'No way we could go back. It's too dangerous! Iron Guard might be there, lurking outside the house waiting for you. What if you are right and they didn't find what they were looking for and take you instead? They will use you to get to Susan you know that, right? These guys are not to mess up with. They are not stable, Nerissa, do you hear me?'

She pushes him away managing to free her hand, but he grabs it in mid-air, his voice serious and decisive.

'I can't let you go there! I'm sorry.'

He can feel her anguish, however, he can't do anything to soothe her misery. He must keep her safe with or without her permission, and there is no other way to it.

Right there, Nerissa knew she was all alone in this. Looking him straight into his stormy eyes, she knew she couldn't count on his help. If it comes to it, she will fight him off, trick him and escape his loft. A shadow of a plan starts forming in her mind, while the map of the city unravels in front of her eyes. Nerissa is confident she could beat him to her house, as soon as she reaches the city. In the end, she's the one who grew up here, not him.