Chapter 21 - Nerissa

The next few hours drag painfully as her mind keeps reliving the heinous meeting from that morning. Everything she knows is a lie. Everything she believed in is nothing more than a product of a well-forged propaganda, just someone else's deceitful agenda. Moving her carcass from one lecture to another, her thoughts are too busy to even notice the critical stares of the others. Harsh, judging rumors pass her by, for no one has ever been called upstairs to be praised.

The fog starts to dissipate only at midday, leaving her standing alone in front of an empty table, the very one that once had been the heart of the lunchroom. Nerissa stares hesitant and broken-hearted at the window-wall in front of her, frozen and unable to feel the burning tears that are flowing down her cheeks. The right hand on her heart tries in vain to stop the hole in her chest growing bigger. However, when she feels the metal pin attached to the fabric she starts chocking for air. How could you let it go this far? How much longer will you let him control your mind?

'What was that all about?' A familiar voice startles her, interrupting her train of thoughts for a moment.

She quickly wipes off her cheeks, only to find a visibly concerned Nathan frowning at her. Before she could come to her senses, his lips are moving again, this time waving impatiently one hand in front of her face.

'Planet Earth to Nerissa!'

She blinks disturbed like she's just woken up from a long sleep. He's surely got her undivided attention now.

'Where have you been this whole time? You went AWOL after James' party and no one has seen you since. I swear to God, Nerissa if you hadn't shown your face today, I would have gone to the officials. And what on Earth was that all about you being summoned to the principal's office?' He asks out of breath and overcharged by all the mixed emotions that have suddenly filled his heart.

Consumed by fear and an endless yearning for having her close to him, Nathan is not aware he has raised his voice at Nerissa in front of everyone else in the cafeteria. The perfect Selected Couple having a public quarrel. She does nothing but look him in the eyes, knowing too well it's her fault for keeping him in the dark, for deceiving her best friend and make him worry for her.

'Nat..' She gathers all the courage she has left in her, only to be interrupted again, this time by Ilya.

'Give her some slack! She has a lot on her plate right now!' Her words are harsh, almost hostile. She was never really fond of Nathan, yet she had to tolerate him for her friend's sake.

Nerissa hits her in the ribs, letting her know she said enough. She doesn't want to drag him into this madness.

'Sorry Nat, I didn't want to worry you. I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I took a day off.' She lies, however, the frown on his forehead tells her he doesn't believe one single word.

She decides to give him something, or she knows he won't give up so easily. She starts walking to their usual table thinking that the official version will do the least possible damage.

'My grandma was sent to Denver. She left yesterday.' Her lips are moving, yet the sour taste at the base of her throat makes her flinch.

'I see. Well, that's really cool!' Nathan replies as he sits next to her.

They've always been honest with each other and being lied straight to his face breaks his heart. Still, that's an issue they'll have to discuss between closed doors.

'I wish I could see Denver someday.' He adds, struggling to show a cheerful grin and changing the subject.

'Me, too.' She agrees, smiling back bitterly.