39 | death scenes

if one thing's for sure, a lot of people die in the 100 universe. considering that there are only
4 remaining delinquents and 6-7 characters alive from season one (bellamy, clarke, murphy, miller, raven, jackson, octavia, and i think that's literally it, yikes), if you're writing a fanfic, you are most likely going to have to include some sort of death scene.

i've written my fair share (check out my list at the bottom) and have compiled a list of tips to help you!

REACTIONS

i. what are your characters' relationships with the person dying? if they're close and/or got along well, it is likely the death will have a larger impact. however, if they're not close and/or enemies, it is likely they will feel shock more than anything. it's also vital to take into consideration your character's empathy level. if they're apathetic, they may not really care, even if they knew the dying person well. however, a highly empathetic person will probably feel upset even when they weren't close to the victim.

ii. how much death have your characters been faced with? if this is their first time witnessing/experiencing someone dying, they're bound to be more shaken up and/or outwardly traumatized. that being said, even if they have seen a lot of misfortune, it's still going to be difficult to deal with because hey, death is a scary thing. however, a seasoned warrior (like a grounder or a character in season 5/6) may be more accustomed to death and show less of an outward reaction. they will probably be better at hiding how they feel. (again, this all depends on their personality. an emotionally unstable person who has witnessed a lot of death may have fits whenever someone else dies, for example.)

iii. what is the reason for their demise? certain scenarios will make your characters experience different emotions. anger, sadness, fear, and disbelief are a few common ones— sometimes they can be strung together if they're experiencing a whirlwind of emotions. usually, the initial reaction to death is mind-numbing shock. your character may try to run away from the situation or be rendered immobile from the extreme loss (fight or flight). as mentioned before, emotional responses aren't always set in stone like a "shock-and-then-cry" formula. if someone died unexpectedly, your character is more likely to be in a greater amount of surprise or feel like their world has suddenly turned upside down. if a death is drawn out (like a steady decline because of old age or a lifelong illness), your character may have had time to come to terms with it a bit more.

iv. how does your character handle their emotions? are they prone to breakdowns? constantly stoic? once taken the other questions into consideration, this can help you figure out how strongly your character will to display said emotions. i mentioned in a previous example how an apathetic person may not express sorrow or grief, but if the person was very close to them, maybe they can be shown crying for the first time when that person dies.

v. what are the other characters' reactions, if anyone else is around? try not to create a bubble around the narrator & dying person (unless you want it to be a private moment and that is your intention). how are the other people reacting? are there sniffles in the background?

i found this while looking at my writing tips board on pinterest and thought i'd share!

WRITING THE SCENE

i. how serious are their injuries? this is something to consider when setting the length of the scene. for example, a person with a blade through their heart would die within a few seconds, if not instantly. they wouldn't be talking five minutes later.

ii. do they know they're dying? usually, people who know they're about to die will try to squeeze in some memorable words for their loved ones to hold on to. however, immediate panic is also common for someone dying abruptly. their breaths will usually speed up, causing the heart to pump harder, which will probably make them bleed more. this is especially true for children.

iii. describe what's going on. whose point of view is it? is the narrator dying, or are they watching someone else die? if it's the former, make note of their thoughts, feelings, and levels of pain. if it's the latter, make sure you focus evenly on the narrator's emotions as well as how the dying person is coping. there will be less of an impact if the character is so focused on their own sadness that they don't realize the person has already died. likewise, focusing solely on the dying person can detach the reader from the narrator's feelings and cause an abrupt slamming of emotions if you put all of the narrator's feelings at the end.

iv. do your research. learn how many liters of blood a person has to lose before they faint or die. see how long it takes a person to die in a given situation. read about how wounds in different parts of the body will feel. you'll thank yourself later.

v. try not to make it too drawn out. if the entire 2,500 words of your chapter is a death scene, your readers will likely get bored.

vii. don't tell, show. this is said all the time but it's so true. don't say things like "*insert character name* felt sad." instead, use descriptive words that specifically pinpoint the audience's emotions and make them feel the pain. "the weight of his grief was crushing as he held onto her limp hand so tightly that his fingers ached, almost as if he was trying to will her back to life with the force of his grip alone," sounds much better. it shows the desperation and disbelief instead of outwardly saying, "he was desperate and in disbelief."

A CHARACTER'S DEATH IS ~*EXTRA SAD*~ IF...

—they died young.

—their goals are unfinished.

—they have younger siblings to take care of.

—they promised their family they'd be safe/would come home.

—they're a parent.

—they died on accident.

—they were caught in the crossfire.

—their death could have been prevented if only...

someone close to them has to kill them.

—their character arc wasn't completed.

—they seemed to have everything going for them.

—their skills were needed to help the other characters along the way and their loss will be devastating/they have to figure out how to work without them.

—they sacrificed themselves.

—there's a fleeting moment of happiness/relief right before they're mortally injured/killed. bonus points if the relief is from seeing a loved one still alive.

—they died without knowing something vital, like they had a child/sibling/parent/etc.

—their parents have to hear about their child's death.

EXAMPLES OF MY DEATH SCENES:
(beware of spoilers)

Different, "{4.6}" middle to end-ish of chapter)
Error, "{0.7}" middle-ish of chapter)
Caged, "demise"
Caged, "resolution" (end of chapter)
Aegis, "eleven"
Error, "{1.4}" (endish of chapter)
Aegis, "nineteen," (middle of chapter)
Finality, "{1.8}" (middle—end of chapter)
Finality, "{2.5}" (kinda middle/end-ish of chapter)
Havoc, "whatever it takes" (end of chapter)