18. Live

Liam

"Pick your outfit for today, Bea," I told my little girl, as she finished putting her things away in the toy chest, in our living room.

Bea dropped all the toys in the chest, closed the lid, and then dramatically wiped her forehead, as if she were doing hard labour.

"Are we really going to see Granny and Grandpa?" She asked me, with a twinkle in her eye. She came to sit on my knee, wrapping her arms around my neck, as I held onto her, in case she fell.

"Yes, sweetheart. Tiff and her parents will be there too," I told her, moving some stray hers away from her face, as she looked up at me.

Tiff had called up and said there was a dinner arranged for tonight. She didn't really say why, but just that it was a little family gathering. When she said my parents were going to be there, I couldn't exactly refuse. It had been a while since Bea had seen them too.

"I can't wait," Bea grinned.

"I know, which is why I need you to choose something to wear for dinner," I told her, and she kissed my cheek, before jumping off my lap and tugging me to her room.

She liked to tell me about her outfit choices and occasionally wanted my opinion about it.

Bea rummaged through her closet and pulled out a red dress. I knew it was one of her favourites, not just because of the colour, but also because it would flare out when she twirled around. Something she loved to do.

"I want this one," she smiled and I nodded in approval.

"And my bumblebee tights," she said, with an even wider smile.

Ever since Bea laid her eyes on those tights, it'd become her favourite clothing, more than anything I've ever gotten her. It was sweet to see, although I didn't want her to wear them out.

"I don't think they will go with your dress, Bea," I told her and she frowned at my words, looking from the dress she picked out, to the tights she was now holding in her hands.

"But I-" she was about to protest.

"They were a present, right?" I asked and she nodded. "So maybe wear them for special occasions?"

Bea paused at my words, as if she were processing. "Like my birthday and yours?"

I found it so sweet that she included my birthday in her special occasions.

"Exactly," I replied.

"Okay," Bea said, putting away the bumblebee tights and pulled out a white pair instead. "I'll wear these ones."

"Perfect," I told her. "Do you need help, or you got this?" I asked her.

Bea grinned and raised her hand to give me a thumbs up. "I got this, Daddy."

I couldn't help but laugh at her actions. This was coming from the same girl who assured me that she had this yesterday, but then got stuck putting on a jumper.

"Alright. I'll go get dressed as well then," I nodded.

"You have to look pretty for Granny and Grandpa, " Bea said and I shook my head at her words.

I don't think pretty was exactly the look I aspired for, but for my little girl, I'd look pretty as hell.

"I'll try to," I said, before making a move to my room to get dressed.

Tiff hadn't really specified whether we had to dress formal or casual, but I knew my cousin, if she was putting on a dinner, she wanted everyone to dress up. She was annoying like that.