23. Thoughts

Serena

After Liam and Bea had left from the gallery, we all began to call it a night as well. We were all so excited to have Chris and Miguel back, but the tiredness quickly caught up to us after being on our feet for long while.

I really don't know why I choose to wear heels sometimes, and today was another day I made the stupid decision.

Throughout the evening of the gallery event, Bea remained at my side, not wanting to let me go. It was adorable and I didn't want her to leave either. I had really grown attached to her. She was just so cute, I just loved seeing her.

Bea wanted to spend more time with me, more than just a quick visit. So I promised her a day, with just the two of us, not even Liam.

Of course, I did ask him before committing, but I had a feeling he wouldn't say no.

He wasn't as icy and cold as he was before, he'd really thawed.

A few weeks ago, at night of the photo exhibit, I caught his eye a couple of times. Although he'd look away, it wasn't a look full of anger or annoyance. It was just...different.

Today was the day Bea had chosen for us to hang out. Her school was closed for the day, so it was perfect for us to hang out.

Stood in front of Liam's door, I waited for him to open it after I knocked.

Not too long after, it was opened.

"Hey, I just wanted to-..." I began to say, but when I noticed Liam's distressed state, my smile quickly faded. "-what's wrong?" I asked him.

"Bea's ill," he sighed, closing the door as I stepped inside. "Sorry, you won't be able to take her out today," he said, and my face scrunched up a little. Did he really think I cared about that right now?

"Is she okay? What's wrong? Can I see her?" I threw the questions at him, feeling a sense a worry within me.

The way Liam looked right now, just made me a worry more. He looked stressed, and in turn that was stressing me out.

"She's sleeping right now," he said, and I stepped forward.

"I'll be quiet," I promised.

Liam just gave me a nod and I put my bag and coat down, and also took off my heels, so the sound of it didn't accidentally wake her.

Trying to step gently, I walked into Bea's room. She was sleeping soundly in bed, hugging her little toy turtle. Her little button nose looked a little flushed, as did her cheeks. I could hear her deep breathing, the kind that you would do when ill, and it tugged at my heart seeing her so...quiet.

Bea was always so full of energy and enthusiasm. For anyone else it would be exhausting, but it was just how she was, and I loved her for it.

I tiptoed out of her room and came back into the living room, where Liam was now sat on the sofa, his head buried in his hands.

He seemed to hear me come back into the room and his head lifted up, a polite smile coming onto his face.

"What happened?" I asked him, taking a seat on the sofa near him.

He sighed deeply again, shaking his head gently. "She complained of a stomach ache and then developed a fever."

"Did you see a doctor?" I then asked him.

He nodded at my question. "I took her this morning, she'll be okay, just needs some medicine and rest."

Liam looked like he was in pain as well. I imagined this wasn't easy for him. Bea was his world and right now his world was hurting, and there wasn't much that he could do to help.