Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Tyler’s POV

            I was surprised that the day flew by. Daniel, Ryland and Michael stayed by me all day. Every now and then, I would run into Dustin in the halls. When the final bell rang, I ran to my truck. I was pulling out of the parking lot before they knew I was gone. Laughing softly, I went by McDonald’s to get me some nuggets. Taking the short cut home, I turn on the radio.

            Rolling down my window, I turn the sound all the way up. By the time I reach my house, my mood is light. Jumping out, I grab my bag and skip towards the door. I can’t explain why I felt so happy. Opening the door, I waltz up to my room. The house was as silent as a graveyard. My parents must be at a doctor’s appointment or with Uncle Ralph.

            Throwing my bag onto my bed, I run down to the den and turn on the Xbox. Putting Mass Effect in, I grab the controller and sit in the huge lazy boy chair. I had just finished the first two off world missions when I heard Mom and Dad walking through the front door. I heard them laughing. I smile and save my game. Turning the TV and Xbox off, I make my way to the kitchen.

            Sitting on the counter stood two boxes of my favorite food. Pizza. I take four slices of extra cheesy pepperoni and take a Pepsi out of the fridge.  Heading up to my room, I decide to start on my homework. Turning the radio on, I turn the volume up until I could hear the glass in my window rattling a little. Leaving my door open, I sit in front of my desk and pull out my math book. I could smell Mom and Dad when they walked by my room every five minutes. It had been a long time since I had acted this carefree and it felt good.

            I just hope that I wasn’t making them worry to bad about me. I complete the last problem and scarf down the last two slices. It took me an hour and half to finish all my work. Standing up, I reach to turn the radio off when I heard me song come on. Grabbing my hairbrush like a microphone, I start to mouth along to the song.

Careless, I am reckless

I'm a wrong way traveling, slowly unraveling, shell of a man

Burn out, I'm so numb now

That the fire's just an ember way down in the corner

Of my cold, cold heart

Lord, this time, I'll make it right

Here at the altar I lay my life

Your kingdom come and my will was done

My heart is broken as I cry

Like so many times before

I flood my eyes

I try before I leave the floor

Oh Lord, I try

(I'll try)

But this time Jesus how can I be sure?

I would not lose my follow through

Between the altar and the door

Here at the altar

Oh, my world so black and white

How could I ever falter

What you've shown me to be right?

Lord, this time