Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Two weeks later

Tyler’s POV

            Dad grounded me. I couldn’t believe it. When Dustin took me back to the house, he tried to take the blame, but I wouldn’t let him. I convinced my parents that I had decided to go for a walk before they got back. I got turned around, so I sat under a tree to take a break and I must have dozed off. The next thing I remember was waking up and seeing that is was pretty late. I told them that I started walking and stumbled across Dustin who said he would take me home.

            I could tell that Uncle Ralph didn’t believe my story but he went along with it anyway. There was no way that I was going to let my mate get in trouble for my idea. Those two weeks were the most boring weeks in my entire life. 

            My dad wouldn’t let Daniel, Ryland, Michael, or Dustin come over. But I was able to see them at school every day. They’d talked for the most part; I would just sit there and listen. They didn’t know that I was grounded because I didn’t think they needed to know.

            As soon as I got home Friday, I went straight up to my room and started on my homework. I was just about finished when I heard Dad walking up the stairs. He walked to my room and stood in the door way, but I kept my eyes on my paper acting like I didn’t hear him. For several long minutes he was quiet. Then he spoke. “You can go hang out with your friends tomorrow. We’re lifting the grounding sentence. But you have to be home no later than 10:30. Are we clear?”

            I nod once to let him know I heard him and he leaves. The guys were planning on going to the beach tomorrow and they invited me at lunch today. I slipped up and told them that I wouldn’t be able to because I was grounded. The looks on their face was priceless. But now that I was free, I was thinking about going. The only problem was that I didn’t know where the beach was or how to get there. And I didn’t feel like asking one of them for a ride.

            An hour before bed, I picked out a one piece suit and a little outfit to wear. Taking a shower to relax, I slip into my pjs and climbed into bed. Grabbing my phone, I start texting Ryland.

            -Hey. Wyd?

            -Watching a movie. U?

            -Frozen? :D lol. Ntm, just about to go to bed.

            -Naw. I saw that one too many times.

            -Can you give me directions to the beach? I’m going to ask my dad if I can go, just don’t let the others know, ok? I want it to be a surprise. That way if I can’t make it, they won’t be disappointed.

            -Sure Ty. When you leave your house, take a right. You’ll drive for about twenty miles and the road will fork. Take the left. That road will dead end. From there you’ll walk about ten minutes on a black gravel path. And you can’t miss it.

            -Thanks cuz. :D

            -You’re welcome. See you there maybe. Xoxo

            I laid my phone on the table beside my bed. Since falling asleep under the willow with Dustin, I hadn’t dreamt of him. Curling into a ball, I’m soon in a blissful sleep.

            Waking up about six, I start getting ready. I don’t want to get there early, but nor do I want to be late. Around eight I tell mom and dad bye and head out to the garage. Deciding to ride Sam’s bike, I open the boot and stuff my bag into it. Putting the helmet on, I straddle the bike and start it. Feeling the rumble of the engine against my legs, I smile. Sam taught me how to drive a cycle against dad’s wishes. We’d race out in the woods until Dad caught us. He sold my bike and almost sold Sam’s.

            When I promised never to drive one again, he agreed to let Sam keep it. But that didn’t stop me from riding on it with him. I race down the road feeling free as a bird. I was keeping my wolf blocked out because she wouldn’t shut up about how something bad was going to happen today. Sometimes she can be a real mood crasher.

            I took my time driving. I wasn’t in a hurry and the scenery flying by was beautiful. Finally, an hour and half after I left home, I pull into a small dirt parking lot. I could see that a bunch of kids from school were here. I smile when I see Dustin’s bike, and my cousin’s cars. Now they had nice rides. Setting the helmet on the seat, I pull out my bag. I was glad that I decided to wear my swim suit under my tank top and shorts. Walking down the path, I could hear voices coming from the woods.

            I could see the sand when I heard Dustin’s voice. He was laughing softly. Thinking of surprising him, I follow the sound of his voice. Thankfully none of the others had spotted me as of yet. Coming to a nice little hide away, I get the surprise of my life. There was Dustin alright, but he was lying on top of another girl, kissing her. I was glued to my spot. I watched as they started stripping. That’s when I lost it. Turning around, I ran. Somehow, I lost my bag, but I didn’t care. I could hear Ryland calling my name, but I didn’t stop.

            How dare he do this to us! I thought he loved us, I thought he was different. I could hear Talee whine as the pain of what we found our mate doing finally hits us. I wince. It almost feels like I’d been injected with wolf’s bane again. Running up to my bike, I throw the helmet into the boot. Taking off, I roar down the dirt road. I could hear Dustin’s voice calling me now along with all three of my cousins.

            I was crying by the time I reached the fork in the road. Looking to my left, I shook my head no. I didn’t feel like going home and having to sit with Mom and Dad pretending that everything is fine and dandy. So I turn right. I drove for an hour, not really seeing where I was going. It was an open stretch of road with no stop signs and no red lights. The sound of thunder drew me out of my little pity party just enough to see that it was raining.

            It probable had been raining for some time, I just didn’t notice it. I could hear everyone in my mind trying to link with me. But I just shoved another border up around my mind and increased the speed. Suddenly there was silence in my mind. I couldn’t hear anyone. Dad? Mom? Anyone?

            They can’t hear you Ty. You crossed the pack’s border without permission. We’re rouges now unless you go back and Ralph lets us back in.

            We are not going back. Who’d want to be part of a pack where your mate thinks its okay to go around and sleep with someone else? I hear her sigh. Suddenly she cries out. I look up just in time to see a wolf jump out in front of me. I slammed on my breaks. Instead of stopping thanks to the slick black top, my bike went skidding. And the next thing I knew, I was flying through the air. I knew the wolf was a werewolf, but he wasn’t a member of Uncle Ralph’s pack. I prayed to the moon goddess that he wasn’t rouge, they all wanted me dead.

            I must have crossed into another pack’s territory. I felt myself slam into something hard and unmoving. Struggling to open my eyes, I let the swirling darkness claim me. In there I knew that I wouldn’t be able to feel the pain and rejection I felt here.