Chapter 5: Men of the House

Thanksgiving day is the only day in a year that I get to see both my dad and older brother.

Today, I roasted a turkey with some vegetables. My dad and brother loves this turkey recipe of my mom's.

When I was little, my mom would teach me how to cook specially our thanksgiving dinner because during this day, we get to be a family.

When she passed away, I do all the cooking and dinner preparations with a little help from Rey. I'm excited to see both my dad and brother but worried at the same time. They have this dad and son quarrel that never got resolved.

My dad wants my brother to join the army like him and yeah, you've guessed it. He did not obey him, not even tried it out at least. My brother have always been in love with hockey. I remember back then, our mom and I would watch him play on school competitions. Win or lose, he's always happy. You can tell that he really loves the sport.

"What time will they be here?" Rey asked as he arrange the plates on the table.

"Not sure, both of them haven't called yet" I replied.

"You think Jordan (my brother) would bring someone with him? Like a girlfriend or maybe a good looking team mate?" Rey imagined with twinkles in his eyes.

"You have Mike, why are you still looking around for a good looking guy?" I asked giggling.

"Just looking for an eye-candy" he replied flirtly.

-----

*Ding* *Dong*

"I'll get it!" Rey yelled and walked towards the front door.

"Rey? Is that you? Wow! Long time!" My brother greeted him and gave Rey a big hug.

My brother's a big guy. He's about 6'2, has brown hair like mine and blue eyes like my dad's. He's five years older than me and of course has great body physique since he needs it for his sport.

"How's my baby sister?" he greeted and opened his arms. I ran towards him and gave him a tight hug.

"I missed you, kuya (older brother)" I replied.

"I smell something nice, is that mom's turkey recipe?" he said.

"Of course! But dad's not here yet, so just dig on some chips or veggies on the table" I told him and pushed him away from the turkey.

Did he say what time he'll be here?" my brother asked.

"Nope, didn't you ask him?"

"You know I don't talk to that old man" he replied and grabbed some beer from the fridge.

"He's still our dad. No matter how much you hate him, you owe him your life" I lectured my brother.

"Yeah, yeah. You sound like mom. So, no girlfriend again this year?" he suddenly asked and Rey held his hand over his mouth, trying to hide his smile.

Both my brother and dad knows that I like girls. My brother is totally fine with it, he even praises my taste when it comes to girls. As for my dad, well I would say he's still in denial stage - for almost ten years.

"No, how bout you?" I threw the question back at him.

"Nah! Come to think of it, I was supposed to be with someone today"

"What happened? The girl ditched you?" I replied jokingly.

"Yeah, we were dating for two months. I told her to come with me today but two weeks ago she met a model and went gaga over the dude"