-13-

True to her words, Alice called the next day.

The sun was barely peaking from the horizon when Joanna's phone was screaming right next to her. Groaning, she pushed her arm out and captured her device, shivering from the coldness in her room. "Yes?" She said groggily, her voice rough from waking up.

  "Hey," it was Alice and her voice was soft, warm almost. It caught Joanna off guard. "How are you feeling?" Sitting up in her bed, Joanna answered hoarsely,

  "Uh, good?" It came out more as a question, then suddenly everything hit her. Everything that happened last night. "Actually, I'm still confused on what the hell happened."

  There was a pause on the line that made her wonder if Alice hanged up on her. But when she heard her wistful voice, she knew she was still there. "Jasper, he isn't well right now. He's upset with himself and so is Edward." The blankets were tossed off of her as she stood, the cold air pinching her skin. Sucking in a quick breath, she opened her bedroom door and made her way down stairs.

  "What did Jasper do? Bella got hurt and was thrown across the room. What the hell happened, Alice?" She questioned her with urgency as she slipped on her shoes. She was already dressed in a hoodie and shorts so when she grabbed her car keys, she was suitable for the outdoors.

  Alice's response was quick, "Bella cut herself and bled. We... we all reacted and since Jasper is the newest to our diet, he had a much harder time controlling his urges. He went after her and Edward, without his control, pushed her way but she slammed into the table. Jasper, he isn't happy with himself currently." Joanna hummed as she began her car, turning her speaker on her phone before tossing it in her cup holder. "Jo, I hear a car."

  "I'm coming over," Joanna replied, pulling out of her driveway.

Nervously, Alice struggled to say anything. "I, uh, er..." This was new and it caused the tired woman's lips to curve upwards slightly. She found herself encased in the wilderness as she grew closer to the Cullen home. "It's not the wisest decision- oh, I can already hear you."

  "Ah, super hearing." Joanna mumbled, seeing the house come into view. "Tell Jasper I'm going to beat his ass if he doesn't talk to me." Hanging up, she contiued her drive until she pulled up in front of the home. The area around her was eerily quiet and when she set foot on the front steps, the door was opened to reveal Esme.

  "Morning," she greeted with a small smile. It was strange. There was this off feeling radiating in the home and when she twisted her head, she found Alice gripping tightly to Jasper. The blonde didn't look at Joanna at all. "Would you like some breakfast?"

  The human formed a small smile, "I'm alright, Esme. I actually need to talk to someone." Gray eyes dug into Jasper and he finally looked at her, his facial features struggling to show his true emotions. It made her heart speed up slightly. "Are you alright with that, Jas-"

  "-let's go." He blurted, voice hoarse as he dissapeared upstairs in a flash.

The ballet dancer-like immortal danced over to Joanna, her eyes studying her. "Be safe. I'll be down here, okay?" And like Jasper, she disappeared in thin air. She shook her head and ascended up the stairs.

At first, she was lost. All the rooms were closed, holding members of the household in each one. Slowly, she noticed only one door was kept open for her.

  There, she saw Jasper standing far away from her. He was leaning against the railing on the balcony that was extended from his room, his back towards her. She could see how tense he was, how his muscles were taunt and his head was held low.

  Fidgeting in her spot, she watched his very move and she wondered, cautiously, if this was a safe idea. She felt stupid for a moment for coming here. "I could've killed her," Jasper spat, but not to her. He was bullying himself. He made horrendous thoughts bubble in his head and Joanna wondered if Edward would come over and knock some sense into the blonde. He was destroying himself and it made her want to wonder how much pain he was in for his actions.