chapter 1

"y/n, oh do be careful!" mother warned as a goose scooped me up on her beak. "it's all right, mother!" i i responded giggling as the barn animals broke out into song.
she's a funny little squirt
y/n
tiny angel in a skirt
y/n
"oh!" i slipped from the goose's beak and fell on the ground, sending dirt everywhere.

first she's mending, then baking
pretending she's making things up
y/n
finally i caved in, wanting to sing along too. i got up and swiftly wiped the dirt of my dress before i started. wanting to be productive, i started sweeping the edges of the trough that the animals drank from

who would believe the wonder of the world i see?
each little minute brings a new surprise
there's only one peculiar thing that bothers me

"her voice is rather beautiful," a goat remarked sighing contently

seeing i'm the only one my size

the barn animals continued to sing
y/n
think of all you'll save our meals
y/n
maybe if you had high heels
y/n
if you stay here forever
we know we'll never be glum
by gum
y/n

it's a great big world
y/n
y/n
y/n

"that's me!" i finished, giggling. soon, the work was done and the sun began to set so mother took me inside. "read me a story, mother! please!" i begged.

she chuckled warmly as she set me down. "now how could i say no?" and she pulled out an old brown book.

"now, here's a story about the noble dog, who saved the king from the wicked wizard." hero barked and i couldn't help but giggle, but also i felt disappointed . "once upon a time..." she began, but i had to interrupt her.

"mother.. couldn't there be any stories about little people? people like me?"

"well, actually there are, y/n! look," she scooped me up tenderly and set me down on her book. on the page was a beautiful illustration of people who looked just like me!

"wow, they are little!" i exclaimed "just like me!" suddenly i noticed something peculiar, and my nose scrunched up, a habit i did when confused. "what are those? on their backs?" i asked mother, pointing to an odd figure.

"why, they're wings, y/n. these are fairies, and fairies have wings so they can fly." i gasped, astounded by this new information. "mother, have you ever seen a fairy?" i inquired.

"well.... i thought i did once." she admitted "really?" i gasped. she chuckled, amused by my sudden interest in fairies. "yes, and here the fairy prince and princess are having a wedding!" she said pointing to the page.

"and they live happily ever after." i finished. "well, usually dear." she added. "hmm, i suppose it works best if two people are the same size." i stated sadly. "..yes of course." mother answered hesitantly.

i groaned softly and looked away from the page, a pang in my heart. "too bad i'll never have that," i mumbled to myself dejected. "it's not fair, i must be the only little person in the whole world... i wish i was big.." i sighed my eyes getting glossy.

"oh, no, y/n. please don't ever wish to be anything except for what you are. you're perfect and you shouldn't wish to change yourself. i'm sure you'll find happiness." mother reassured with a warm smile. hero began to pant excitedly in agreement. "i suppose," i mumbled back, still not fully convinced.