chapter 3

third pov
cornelius flew into a tree log to be met with the jitterbugs curious faces. "hello, i'm looking for a beautiful young woman. her names y/n. has anyone seen her?"

"are you the fairy prince?" a blue jitterbug asked. "yes! i am!" he exclaimed. "y/n is gone." the jitterbug said and the excitement disappeared. "gone? where? where did she go?"

"the beetle took her away..." the jitterbug answered reluctantly. "what?" he gasped. the older jitterbug responded, "they're out there, somewhere."

"she...she's out there? in that??" he said angrily pointing outside. it was windy and dreadfully cold since winter was nearing. the prince had asked his parents to delay the winter frost for as long as they could but deep inside he knew they couldn't for more than a day. "there's a big toad after her too," the blue baby jitterbug added. cornelius buried his face in his hands. "oh, no. i've got to find her!" he said determinedly as he put his helmet back on. "winters almost here." and he got in buzzby and they flew away.

"hurry buzz! my father can't hold back the frost much longer!"

meanwhile the toad and the beetle were arguing. the toad had his hands wrapped around his neck while the beetle tried desperately explaining he didn't know her whereabouts. "look, i got an idea. i hear she loves the fairy prince, right? why don't you just nab the prince and set up a trap for the girl...using him as bait!" the beetle proposed. "you know, to get her to come to you!"

"nab the prince..." he muttered to himself. "and set up the trap," mr beetle prompted. "nab the prince," he repeated louder. mr beetle nodded "yes, nab the prince and set up a trap! do you speak english??"

"don't shout!" grundel growled. "you're making me very nervous here!" and they continued to argue. then grundel grabbed him by the collar. "you go capture prince." he ordered. then he tugged on the beetles wings. "aahhh! my wings! you took my wings! you can't do that!" the beetle wailed much to grundel's amusement.

"oh, yeah? i'll keep wings until you nab prince!"
"listen, pal this harassment has gone far enough! and i know my rights! i'll report you to pond patrol!" mr beetle threatened resulting in grundel wrapping his hands around his throat once again. "okay, okay, cool it," the beetle gasped for air and was let go. "all right, i'll nab the prince," he said smugly and scurried off.

meanwhile cornelius was still riding buzzby, calling for y/n. wind knocked him off the bumble and into the cold lake. desperately he tried to swim to the surface, but the lake froze over and only his outstretched finger tip broke through the ice. a few hours later he was found by mr beetle and his friends. they broke the ice into a square shape and dragged the prince back to the toad.

your pov

i shuddered as i accidentally fell into ice cold water. "oh dear g-god," i shivered as i hopped out of the water and rubbed my arms, hoping the friction would warm me up. i sat on the cold snow, still shuddering. how am i going to get home now? i thought. suddenly an old boot caught my eye. i decided to climb to it. it took some time but slowly and surely i made it to the top of the hill and in front of the boot. there was a sock that i used to cover myself. "jacquimo was wrong. i'm never g-going to find my way home," i whispered to myself sadly and started to sob.

time skip

"feeling better my dear?" an unfamiliar voice called, waking me up. "where am i?" i pondered.

"in my kitchen," she answered nonchalantly. "i'm ms. fieldmouse and we are snug and safe underground," she explained. "wait, i'm underground?" i gasped. ms fieldhouse nodded. "yes dearie, three feet under, i dug it myself with my own two hands." she stated proudly. i looked around her kitchen curiously, still under the covers. my bed was an old metal spoon. "here, drink this," she offered me and handed me a warm cup.

"at least that toad won't find me down here," i sighed in relief. me fieldhouse laughed. "you know, there's something i don't understand. did you really think you could survive the winter in that old shoe?" she inquired and i blushed. "well i didn't really think about it.." she laughed. "honestly!" i sighed.

"i wanna go home," i stated truthfully. "well,
i'm afraid you'll just have to wait here till spring, y/n," she shrugged. wait a minute. "you know my name?" i gasped. "oh, that was easy. i know much more!"

suddenly i felt a little creeped out. i've never met this mouse before. how did she know a lot about me? "like what?"

"like you were engaged to the fairy prince, uh cornelius i believe?" i got sad thinking of him again. "well, almost." ms fieldmouse frowned. "oh, that is so sad."
"what?" i asked confused. "that he was found stone-cold-frozen dead in the snow."

my jaw fell open and my breath came out in a whooshing sound. thoughts whirled in my brain. it couldn't be true. no, there was no way. my heart ached and fell to the pit of my stomach; my mouth was open unable to conjure up any words resulting in me looking like a fish. i was frozen in place, stabbed through with her words. the pain twisted in familiar patterns through my body, the jagged hole ripping me open from
the inside out, but my pain was second place-background music compared to my thoughts. i couldn't believe i'd heard her correctly. there was no trace of indecision on her face.

"no," i croaked my eyes tearing up. "but of course, you knew that," she said. "no, no, cornelius no!" i wailed tears freely streaming down my cheeks. "no," i sobbed. there was no way he could be dead. i fell onto my bed. "that is so sad," ms fieldhouse sighed. "no, it's not true. it can't be true!" i sobbed.

little did i know the beetle was listening in from the chimney, a smile on his face.

"oh, y/n, forgive me. sometimes i just blurt things out without thinking. you're still young though. there'll be another," she soothed. but she was wrong. there wouldn't be another, cornelius was my first love and even though we were in each other's company for only an hour  i knew he was the one for me. "he was perfect," i managed to say. "nobody's perfect," ms fieldmouse scoffed.

but cornelius was...

"cornelius was the only one—"
"now, put this on," she said tossing me fabric. "we'll take these corn cakes to mr mole, he lives just down the tunnel." i put the shawl around my shoulders. "i'd rather not," i sniffled. i wanted nothing more than to be alone and muse about what could've been my happy ending. ms fieldmouse however wasn't having it.

"oh. i saved your life this very day, and you'd rather not?" she scoffed sassily. i sighed. she had a point. i wiped the tears from my face but my eyes were still puffy and red. "alright," i reluctantly agreed. it was the least i could do to repay her  for saving my life.

"oh, one more thing. is it true you have a beautiful voice?" she asked, her eyes twinkling with curiously. "i don't feel much like singing," i admitted sadly. i don't understand how she casually told me how the love of my life was dead, ordered me to sing and deliver cakes. who does she think she is? but i couldn't be angry because i felt bad for her saving my life and my grief kept me from caring about anything else.

"oh, you must sing for mr. mole! he loves sweet things," she insisted. "come on!" she prompted and i hesitantly got up without a word. she handed me the basket full of cakes. "mr. mole loves his corn cakes," she sighed. "cornelius was looking for me," i whispered tearfully. "that's what mustve happened." i sniffled and followed after ms fieldmouse with a heavy heart