chapter 5

your pov
slowly, i walked to the altar. everyone was standing and clamoring at how beautiful i was. mr mole certainly looked happy. i was the only one who wasn't. cornelius's singing was ringing in my head.

let me be your wings
let me be your only love

i shook my head. "not now, please," i mumbled to myself desperate to get him out of my head.

let me take you far beyond the stars

"mr mole do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife?" the minister's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

let me be your wings

his voice returned. i gulped hard and looked at my ring, seeing his reflection in it. my heart began to throb in my chest

let me lift you high above
everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours

his reflection disappeared and i stared lovingly at the ring. anyone else looking wouldve thought i was smitten with my ring! mr mole cleared his throat. "i do." i gasped and continued to walk to the altar.

anything that you desire
anything at all

now his reflection was in the candle wax. i couldn't escape him. "and y/n do you take this mole to be your lawful wedded husband?" the minister asked. my heart grew heavy and i remembered when i gave cornelius my necklace.

do not forget me
oh i'll never forget you. never.

"speak up," the minister ordered. i glared. i couldn't play along anymore. i cant marry the mole! i don't love him like i love cornelius. and if i'm not going to marry for love i won't marry at all. "never," i whispered.
"what?" the minister asked, as if he hadn't heard me. or maybe he truly hadn't.
"never," i repeated. the room filled with gasps. "i beg your pardon?" the minister asked.
"i cant marry mr mole." the room gasped again. ms fieldmouse looked like she was going to burst.

"i don't love him!" i continued, my voice raising. "what?" mr mole breathed in disbelief.
"y/n!" ms fieldmouse called angrily. "ahhh!" grundel jumped in from the ceiling, pieces of debris falling onto the crowd resulting in chaos. my hands flew to my face in surprise. i completely forgot about the toad. "you!" i gasped.

"I MARRY HER!" he declared angrily. i threw my bouquet of flowers to the ground. "NO!" i screamed, my face turning beet red in anger. grundel looked at in confusion. "i no marry you! i go home!" i mocked and walked past him. "no!" he grunted and grabbed my dress resulting in a shriek from me.

"no! go away let me go!" i screamed and kicked him where the sun didn't shine. "agh!" he groaned in agony. i took this as an opportunity and ran away. "after her!" someone called. i ran out and didn't look back. mr beetle jumped in front of me. "hiya, toots!" he grinned and grabbed my veil when i tried to run past him.

"i'm not your toots!" i spat and took my veil off and threw it at him. "woah!" he toppled over. "hey wait!" but i didn't look back. all i wanted to do was get out of there. "y/n!" mr toad cried and ran after me, behind him were the people watching the ceremony followed close behind.

"my wings!" mr beetle cried and tripped grundel, but he regained his balance. "my wings!" he cried.

little did i know cornelius flew in with with the jitterbugs. "woah!" he struggled to regain his balance and hid behind a rock. when he saw my running figure he gasped. "y/n," he breathed.