17: Too late to Catch up

"I am so excited!", Soya told happily. Mr. Park had just announced earlier that we were going out of the valley for this time's Staff week events. We were going to do camping. He thought that it was a wonderful idea. It would be a change of place and everyone would feel fresh and energized. They would also get some new ideas. So, even if the employees had to prepare a 10-page review, they were actually happy.

"I looked up that place in google and it says that the climate is mild. It can get a bit chilly at night but the days are warm. It's a place full of trees and hills. We are going to roam in nature.", She told.

"Yes, I think it would be great. The staff week is starting from tomorrow and the first event is the "Cooking competition." Whoever wins, they will get a nice gift hamper. Are you going to participate Soya?", I said.

"I should prepare Salad then, right? Mr. Park would surely be one of the judges and there's nothing in the world that he loves more than salad.", She laughed.

I laughed as well and that bad memory flashed in my mind. No Salad, please.

"I don't have any culinary skills. So, I am definitely not participating. What about you Miss Kim?", She asked.

"I don't know but I might participate.", I told. "Soya, is the banner ready for tomorrow?"

"Everything's set. The event will take place in the main hall right?", She asked.

"Yes. Soya, you can leave for lunch. I will have it later. I have to complete some work.", I told as I typed on the keyboard.

"Okay Miss Kim.", She said and left.

I was typing on my keyboard when I felt the sound of footsteps coming towards my desk. I looked up and my eyes met Mr. Park's. I got up from my seat.

"Mr. Park, do you need anything?", I asked.

"Yes, I have to visit my dad to get some old documents from him.", He said.

"Sure, I will drive you there.", I told. I took my bag and shoved my mobile inside and followed Mr. Park while he made his way to the parking area.

On the way, many employees greeted us both. While Mr. Park couldn't care less about greetings and just nodded, I  had to smile and say hello or hi to everyone.

After getting to the parking area, I got to the front seat while Mr. Park sat on the back.

I started driving, occasionally looking at the mirror to see what he was doing behind. He was busy on his mobile.

The atmosphere was silent until Mr. Park finally broke it. "What do you feel about this year's events?"

"It's really good Mr. Park. You thought about it well."

"I always do, don't I?"

"Yes, you do.", I laughed.

"Are you participating in tomorrow's event?", He asked.

"I don't know. I might.", I said.

"You have never participated in the cooking competitions organized in the past years. So first time?"

"Since it's my last month here as well. I think I should. I don't want to leave any gaps blank."

"What about the gap between us?", Jimin questioned himself in his mind looking at her back which was facing him from the front seat.

"And do you want to fail miserably tomorrow because I think I at least know that Miss Kim doesn't know how to cook?", He said.

"Things have changed Mr. Park. You should catch up soon. You are kinda late.", I said feeling a twinge of disappointment that he didn't know that I could cook now.