007: duties for trust

seven

seven . . . duties for trust
( october 27, 2149 — mount weather )

          THE TWO GIRLS moved, Maya going to unbutton Lovejoy's shirt, and Cullen going to remove his shoes

          THE TWO GIRLS moved, Maya going to unbutton Lovejoy's shirt, and Cullen going to remove his shoes. They continued this way, passing each item of clothing to the man for him to put on until Lovejoy was in nothing but his pants. The man stepped into a side room to dress, dragging Lovejoy's body along with him so that the two girls didn't have to look at it any longer.

A few minutes later the man stepped out of the side room, fitted head to toe in the Guards uniform Cullen was so used to her Father wearing. It fit the man perfectly, though he stood as though he shouldn't be wearing it. He shut the door, and pressed a button on the wall that buzzed three times before a hatch opened, dropping Lovejoy's body to wherever the Grounders were disposed of.

He walked forward then, and retrieved the equipment belt that was resting on the table beside Maya. Cullen had both Lovejoy's gun and his key card in her hands, knowing Maya wouldn't want to ever hold a weapon again after raising one to Lovejoy minutes beforehand.

"You've done enough." The man spoke to both girls, his eyes moving between them as he strapped the belt around his waist. Cullen stared up at him, eyes watching him for any sign of culpability on his features — there were none. "You should both walk away."

"You don't know where you're going." Said Maya, numbly.

"So draw me a map." The man inquired.

"Wouldn't help much." Added Cullen, now glancing down at the weapon in her hand. It felt odd there — like it didn't belong in the hands of someone like Cullen. "This place is like a maze."

The man watched Cullen until she raised her eyes again, his eyebrows knitted together beneath tousled curls. "Are you Cullen?" He asked, causing the female to look across to Maya. The younger female sent her friend an unknown look, resulting in Cullen nodding her head to the man. "Clarke said you helped her get back into Medical. She said she couldn't have gotten out if it wasn't for you."

Cullen nodded, as though confirming the man's words to be true, before holding out the gun and the key card. He passed her an understanding look, before retrieving them from her hands.