034: status in blood

thirty four

thirty four . . . status in blood
( february 24, 2150 — polis )

          CULLEN'S FINGERS WERE threaded through Bellamy's almost the entire way to Polis, neither of them bothering to conceal their need for comfort from the other people in the rover

CULLEN'S FINGERS WERE threaded through Bellamy's almost the entire way to Polis, neither of them bothering to conceal their need for comfort from the other people in the rover. Their hands rested against the middle compartment, Bellamy only ever letting go when he needed to change gear or have both hands on the wheel to control the vehicle past the rocky roads Clarke was leading them down.

No one had said much, much to Cullen's dismay. She wanted a conversation to be invested in so that she could dull the thoughts in her head from overpowering her emotions and making herself believe their plan to use Ontari wasn't going to work — it would work, she had convinced herself after Bellamy's hand reached across to take Cullen's once again.

"There it is. We stop here." Said Clarke, looking out the windshield from the back of the rover.

The vehicle was pulled to a stop, Clarke marching straight out the back of the rover and towards an opening in the trees that looked onto the tower of Polis. Cullen stepped out the rover and followed after Clarke, coming to a stop at her side, eyes admiring the massive tower.

Bellamy and Roan exited the vehicle, coming into sight with Roan saying, "All right. This is where we split up. The entrance to the tunnel is straight over there." He pointed in a general direction as Cullen and Clarke walked back to them. "I'm gonna need the flame." Roan held his hand out to Clarke. "Look, this only works if they send Ontari out to get it. If they don't see it, they won't do that, not much of a trap without the bait."

Clarke thought for a few seconds, before pulling out the casing that protected the flame, handing it over to Roan. "Fine. But I'm coming with you."

"What?" Cullen snapped.

"No way. That is not the plan." Bellamy shook his head.

"It is now." Clarke finalized, turning to Cullen and Bellamy. "I'm not letting that out of my sight." She looked back to Roan, one eyebrow arched. "And I'm the only one who knows the passphrase. So you can tell them that without me, Ontari can't ascend."