[3] - Egotistical Needs

"She looks like royalty," Allen said, her image repeating non-stop in his head as he registered her name on the computer.

Jayden sighed, "There went the sandwich."

Allen gave a short laugh. It was funny to him how his son got worked-up over something that he can so easily compensate. But at some point, he truly realized that Jayden's sulking came down to what he had told him before, and not the time they could've spent together.

"... I just don't get why you want me to stick to her like that. It's kinda degrading in my honor, you know?"

"It's your job as a manager, Jayden. You should make everyone at the hotel feel welcome."

"I get that, dad, I really do. But I'm not supposed to straight-up befriend them. Plus, she looks unapproachable." He scrunched up his nose. "I feel like it'd be a pure waste of my time."

"I'm sorry, son, but I really can't compromise. Business is business."

"Yes, I know but consider this-"

"Jayden."

The way the atmosphere suddenly got tense at Allen's rigid tone, made him cut back on his words. It was of no use arguing about it, and it was never his intention to upset his father over a guest who's bound to depart sooner or later. He had to suck it up.

"Nevermind, it's stupid." He shook his head, lowering his gaze to the floor. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I-"

"I'm gonna go see if she needs anything..." Jayden mumbled, straightening out his sweater before sauntering out to the hall. The last thing he heard being Allen's exhausted sigh, which consequently made his mutual exhaustion take over his posture.

For some unknown reason, Jayden lingered in the barely lit hallways, getting lost in his thoughts for a moment. He struggled to comprehend why his father was so attached to the idea of him becoming her 'servant' all the while she's here. Allen never once surpassed his boundaries. He always respected Jayden's will. What was so different this time?

When he reached her door, he knocked twice and patiently waited outside for a response which never came. However, he knew for a fact she was inside. He could hear the TV playing, so he gave it another shot and again, nothing.

Taking her ignorance as a chance to return to his room and possibly read a book, he turned around to leave when the door clicked open, stopping him in his tracks.

Aqua stood silently in the doorway, contemplating whether she actually felt like messing with him or not. At first, she'd ignored him so he'd go away, but when she noticed how bored she might feel all alone, she'd rushed towards the door to catch up to him. Feeding off of people's fear of her was always her one top priority, especially when she had nothing to do, and deciding it was definite she wanted to scare him for her own amusement, she smiled. "Come in. I demand your help."

He followed her into the room, more like suite. "If you needed my help, why did you-"

"First of all, I don't need your help. And let's just say, I don't like questions." She resumed her place on the sofa, ready to try and push his buttons. Simply to see how long he'd last.

For fun.

"It was an innocent question, no need to get so uptight." He shrugged.

"Rude much?"

"Sorry? Not my problem you're sensitive," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He shook his head, looking away from the TV to directly meet her eyes, and his heart dropped.

While he was more focused on the movie, she was staring at him. Her gaze strict and cold, which made his stomach churn with uneasiness, involuntarily making him gulp as he remained distraught.

"Say that again, would you?" An oddly appealing flame flowed deliberately in her irises, a soft motion he viewed as both, misplaced yet undeniably powerful. A magical beauty that was way past his sense of comprehension.

Easy prey.

Aqua smirked at his silence, watching him grow more and more distracted.

Her usage of the power she possessed was getting out of hand with each day that passed. And she knew so, still, exerted no effort in putting an end to it. She loved having the upper hand, in every situation, and she's always been like that. But in this very moment, something seemed different. She wasn't enjoying it like she usually would. In fact, it felt wrong. Something was screaming at the back of her head to stop.

Jayden was so close to losing his balance, she was almost there, she's not far from reaching her favorite part. But, she didn't want to. Not today. She could mess with him in a different way.

Aqua closed her eyes, feeling each speck slowly dissipate, one after the other.

Just like that.

The flame died, and her eyes opened again.

Jayden stared at her, seemingly too out of it, weak. "You... You-what was that? I'm so confused..." he trailed off, his voice gradually losing its prominence.

"Clearly."

"... Huh?" He truly was at a loss for words. "Oh, um, I think I have work to do. Somewhere in the hotel. Call room service if you want anything," he said, his tone clipped.

He started feeling more uncomfortable the longer he stayed in her room, and he needed to back out. But Aqua wasn't going to make that easy.

She was bored, and he was already panicked, it's a perfect match. Moreover, she failed the first time because of him, and for sure, she refused to fail this one too. After all, she wasn't the one to let a chance like that slip.

As he turned to leave, picking up his pace, a wave of unexplainable cold air rushed past him, forcing the door shut.