[16] - Mortal

Brooke had regained control. Though a little disoriented, she was at the very least able to recognize her own movements. She barely had time to recover. Because the next moment, she was struggling to help Jayden out of the water.

They both now, laid helplessly on the sand, her weakly trembling and him unconscious in her arms.

"Call someone to get him to the hotel. There is no need for an ambulance," Igujin ordered. She glanced at Brooke just once, never bothering to linger before her.

Igujin turned away and Brooke's eyes pooled with awe at the sight of this woman. She appeared to be of nobility. Something the modern days had lost a hold of. Not only did she look powerful but she clearly was too. Considering how Aqua cowered in front of her.

"I have used every possible way to keep you in your place. To make you remember where you came from," she said, bitterness lacing her strict tone. "But you always forget what a useless creature you were without all that power."

"I am a demi-God. And I've always been a demi-God." Aqua growled. "Magic or not, I'll always be just as powerful as you are."

"Oh, Aqua. One would say you're so delusional." Igujin shook her head, a surge of mockery in her words. "You always tend to forget that it has always been me granting you all that you have."

"Yeah right. The only thing I've seen from you was the immortality, Igujin. You're not some special mentor in my life, you just make it worse."

"You really are hopeless." She lifted her chin high, her stern gaze unforgiving. "I gave you the immortality, I could so easily take it away." Igujin smirked, enjoying the look on Aqua's face, which suddenly lacked all the defiance it had upheld.

"What?"

"You heard me." She swayed her fingers around, arising a breeze that had Aqua incapable of moving. Like she did with Brooke, she shall suffer the same.

Even worse.

Aqua has always been power-hungry. Everything she had was no more than the outcome of her heartlessly taking lives. Supernaturals and humans, both, were pure victims beneath her feet. Especially supernaturals, who bore powers she'd always had her eyes on. Because of such greed, she never hesitated to kill them, careless of what their circumstances were. Automatically, their power would come to her.

She collected them.

One by one.

Each and every power available on this Earth, she possessed it. Due to her inhumane ways.

Sometimes, people think they have it all. They act as if the world owed them. They turn greedy. They munch upon those whom they think aren't worthy. That thought alone could harm anyone in its wake.

And sometimes, to make them realize that they're in the end, mere creatures at risk of a million losses, it's best to take all away. Be it anything.

In this case, being Aqua's immortality. The one thing that made her think she had it all.

Aqua felt her heart clench tight, a feeling she'd only encountered once in her life. A feeling she never wanted to feel again.

Death.

That's exactly what it reminded her of.

Her chest throbbed, heavy with each breath escaping her. This pain...

"Igujin..." She panted, "just what is this?"

Heat took over her body, confusion clouding her thoughts.

Was she getting cremated? She didn't know. Her vision was but a blur, everything seemingly the same haze. All she knew was this has always been the punishment Igujin threatened her with; it wouldn't be strange for this to happen. But Igujin wasn't that cruel.

A tear slipped out of her eyes as she stared at her, never once blinking.

"Igujin, please." She tumbled to her knees, helplessly clutching her chest. "Take it away."

"I am."

"Huh?"

"Your immortality," Igujin replied, Aqua's eyes widening. "I am taking it away."

"This is not what I— is this your nicer way of killing me?" She looked up at her, struggling against the invisible force rendering her defenseless. A slight sardonic tone hid within her words, which Igujin pretended she didn't notice.

Her intention was never to kill Aqua. Nor will it ever be. But if Aqua neglected Jayden, ignoring her assigned mission, her time would run out quicker than the speed of light. And that's the thing Igujin feared the most.

If Aqua didn't compensate her deeds, Igujin had nothing else to do. She couldn't keep aiding her further.

The other Gods won't allow it.

Right now, Aqua held her own fate within her hands. It was her choice. Redemption or cremation? All Igujin wanted to give her was a push. And that push would never come if Aqua was immortal, if she never truly understood what the meaning of time was. Aqua has done nothing but remain stuck in the past, thinking that by taking revenge on Ruth, her time would move forward again. But sometimes, things don't work like that.

Sometimes, letting go is the better option.

Even if that means losing all you have.

Aqua being incapable of moving forward stemmed from her pain. The one Ruth had put her through. Igujin knew that. But for how long was she going to excuse her because of that pain? Especially when Aqua was the one who never tried taking a step forward. She always waited, always stayed immobile. She never took action.

Just waited.

She felt sorry watching her become so weak. But she had no say any longer. Dismissing her so much had Aqua think she was privileged. Which was a possible reason as to why she remained stuck.

Igujin too, must let go of Aqua. To allow her to take those steps forward.

Alone.

There was only so much she could do, and letting Aqua take the lead for once was one of them. By giving her one strong push. So she could heal faster. Learn faster.

Igujin turned to look at her, watching her writhe in an indescribable ache as a part of her defused. A part she'd carried with her almost her whole life. "Aqua... Brooke never had Ruth's soul."

"What are you—" she groaned, her body curving into itself.

"Ruth didn't get reincarnated. She's stuck here on Earth. Between worlds. Like all the other filthy souls."

One last wistful glance and Igujin walked away, leaving Aqua behind, knowing full well such a remark pained her even more than that of the reaping of her immortality.

She disappeared into the night, making herself invisible to the men running towards Brooke and Jayden.

And possibly, Aqua too.