The Labyrinth: Chapter Three

Newt informed me the next morning that I would be spending two weeks finding out what role I would be good at. Then that was that. I would spend the rest of my life here doing that same job every day until... I dunno. He explained it all to me, mentioning all the jobs that I would have to go through and who were the Keepers that would be keeping an eye on me as I did this and so on and so forth.

The names for the jobs were simple but an unusual way to name them. Mentally I thought that, along with mentally thinking that it made sense to call them that as well. Confusing right.

The first day was spend with the Med-Jacks. I had only been awake now for officially two days, so they were still concerned about anything and everything that I did.

Newt did not stay for long. As soon as he was finishing explaining how things were going to go down, he gave a quick goodbye and said he had jobs to finish. Chuck wasn't there either. Apparently, he had to finish his work before he could even think about having at least ten minutes off. Jeff was trusted enough to be left alone with me, as he mainly had been the only other person that I interacted with for the past two days.

Alby never came near me along with the rest of the boys. They were all too scared to break his very strict rules. That meant I predicted that my life here would become a very lonely existence in just a few short weeks with no one really to talk to without fearing repercussions.

The day of the Med-Jacks proved that.

They were only a team of two that worked tirelessly to make sure that the Gladers didn't effectively die here. Jeff instructed that I couldn't stay in my room all day, so I was forced to sit in the medical room and do tasks that he instructed me to do.

The first thing that Jeff had me doing was do reorganise the medical supplies that they had. They had received a few new supplies in their last shipment from the Box and they needed spaces in the room to put all the new supplies in.

It was a very tedious very boring job. There was no fun in doing it. When he first explained it, I believed that it would have been only a few boxes that needed sorting. To my horror I was greeted with a room jampacked with piles and piles of boxes stacked high to the ceiling.

"Yeah," Jeff said. "We hadn't expected this much. Something must have gone wrong."

Jeff opened the first box and pulled out a large wad of cloth. He twisted it around in his hand as he inspected it. "These seem good," he said. He shot out his hand toward her with the wad of cloth still in it. "They go in the corner over there." He pointed with his index finger. I took the cloth from him and placed it where he said too. "Right, let's get these all stacked up."

We spent a few hours taking things out of the crates and placing them round the room. Every now and again someone would enter the room with an injury that Jeff had to take care of. I came to discover that boys were incredibly clumsy. They would cut themselves on whatever they were using and immediately start bleeding. I couldn't tell you how many times I opened plaster packets.

I lied. I could, but I don't want too.

To fill the time, Jeff spoke at me. He told me about the life of the Glade and what they did here. He explained that the first ones to arrive here came roughly two years ago. At that point there was nothing here apart from the building that they found themselves in and the bare amenities they needed to survive. The Homestead had once been incredibly small, but thanks to the Builders there was more to it.

There were no adults in this place. The boys (Gladers) had been left to fend for themselves, with only supplies coming up very week and a new Greenie once a month. Sounded ... odd. There was no explanation as to why they found themselves here and why it was only boys that came up out of the Box. Until now obviously. He carried on telling me more stories about Gladers (stories that have been forgotten) and things to be careful of as I ventured further out.