1996

colbys pov

i got grounded after the drag race... again. i popped one of the tires on the truck, which pissed my dad off.

so i'm grounded for the next three days and i'm in charge of fixing the tire and washing the car.

i was washing the truck but my little brother, max, offered to help me so i told him he could clean the rims. he was doing a good job so i took a step back and watched him.

"seriously? this is your punishment, colby." my dad came out of the house, a small scowl on his face.

"he offered." i explained.

"max, get up from there." he said.

"i think i'll stay down here. this is fun!" he exclaimed, making me shoot a smug grin towards my dad.

"in all seriousness, i'm sorry i disappointed you." i told my dad.

"i'm not disappointed... just upset that you guys were drinking. you clearly can't get it through your head that drinking and cars don't go hand in hand." he told me with a small chuckle. "you know that this tire is coming out of your allowance, right?" he asked.

"well aware." i replied.

"and boy, if you're going to make your little brother do all of the work then at least put a shirt on. 8 girls have gone by and you've only been out here for 15 minutes."

i laughed as i looked down at my clothes. i didn't have a shirt on... just a pair of jeans that were ripped up.

"go into town and buy a tire. you know which ones. you have half an hour. i'll be counting. no fooling around." my dad said to me.

"can i go too?" my little brother, max asked me.

"sure, buddy." i told him.

i went to my room and threw on a fresh black tee shirt. i shoved the money into my pocket.

on the way, max and i passed by a few of our neighbors who waved to us.

we were passing by sams family's music store when i looked into the glass window, noticing my friends all dancing to the music that is nearly inaudible from here.

i see sam and jake trying to teach myra and tara how to moonwalk. kat and devyn are trying to teach corey how to do the running man. my eyes are surprised to see adelaide and i smile a little. but that smile soon disappears when i see that mike is spinning her around. i can tell she's giggling and he has a big smile on his face.

i can't help but get angry. a tinge of jealousy coming over me. knowing mike, he'd never actually go after my girlfriend. we've been friends for the longest time. but i still have this urge to bust in there and surprise them. which i do, max following.

i'm inside now, the music blasting loudly. i walked over to the boom box and press pause. all of them being curious, looks up at me.

i shoot them all a smile, despite the slight jealousy i have. i look to adelaide and she removes her hand from mikeys and shoots me a soft smile. i almost sent one back but didn't, making her frown slightly.

sam is the first one to question me.

"hey colb, thought you were grounded again?" he said.

"i am. i'm just in town to grab a tire for my dad." i told them.

"hey man, we're really sorry about get you into trouble again." mike said.

"yeah. we should probably all stop doing stupid shit like that." jake said, with a small laugh.

"it's fine. but i've got to go get back my dads counting. you guys have fun though." i told them, pressing play on the music.

they were all silent as i walked out. max waved to them, sensing the tension.

by the time i reach the auto parts store, there was an even bigger frown on my face. i just can't stop picturing mikey holding her hand.
max walked into the store and i'm about to follow him when someone grabs my wrist. i turn around to see adelaide looking up at me, a concerned expression in her beautiful eyes. shit it's hard to stay mad when i'm looking at her.

"hey. are you okay?" she asks me softly.

i rub my hand to my temple and sigh. "yeah. i'm fine." i told her with a shrug.

"are you sure?" she asked me again.

"i'm fine. i'm even better than fine. i'm great. i've been grounded many times before so-" i started but she cut me off.

"you're rambling." she cut me off. "i'm sorry we got you grounded. i really wish you weren't."

"it's not that." i huffed out, crossing my arms over my chest. but then she grabs my hands and entwined hers with mine. i almost start to rethink being jealous, but i don't.

"what's really wrong?" she asked me. "was it because i was dancing with mikey?" she asked. shit. she's caught on. when i don't answer. she's quick to understand. she lets out a sigh and then talks again. "we were only dancing, colby."

"i know that. i just got jealous." i confessed.

"don't be." she said looking up at me. "he was only joking around with me when we were dancing." she said with a small smile. "and anyways you're my boyfriend." she said, getting on her tippy toes to kiss me.

i wanted the kiss to last longer but we were in public so i refrained from doing so.

"i'm sorry i got jealous." i muttered with a frown.

"it's okay. it shows me that you car." she smiled. "and i would have done the same."

"then i probably shouldn't tell you that a few girls went passed my house to see me washing my truck shirtless." i teased her. she rolled her eyes and giggled, kissing me once more.

"i really have to go now. my dad will throw a fit if i'm late." i told her.

she pouted and i felt the urge to kiss her again. i mimicked her pout, teasingly and then pecked her lips.

"colby, are you coming?" max asked me from the door. "hi adelaide." he smiled, waving to her.

she greets him back as i tightly wrap my arms around her. she accepts my hug as i whisper to her. "i'll see you around, baby." before kissing her once more.

"ew you guys are gross! and annoying." max said, making us both laugh.

"bye max." adelaide said, kissing him on his cheek. his whole face blushes bright red. she waved to us as she walked away.

i watched as max wipes his cheek. i smirk at him and then tease "i think my girlfriend is falling for you."

"i hope not... that would be awkward."