III

"Cameron?" A voice called from outside my door.

I unlocked the door, beckoning Heather inside quickly. She looked around the room cautiously, eyeing the pen I had jammed into the broken lock of my window to stop it from sliding up. She pinched her nose, kicking some stray dirty clothes out of her path.

"Are you okay? When I said to get a lock on your window, I meant a real one. It's probably nothing, I didn't mean to panic you." Heather tried to convince me.

I put a finger to my lips, heading to my computer and throwing a top over the camera. I wasn't sure what I could trust, so we had to keep our voices low until I find out if they'd tampered anything while they were inside. They could be listening.

"Okay, this is literally ridiculous. If you're that worried, just go to the police." Heather whisper yelled, gesturing to the shirt covering the camera.

"What will the police do? Literally nothing. I'm just being cautious." I whispered back, feeling defensive of my paranoia, "Plus, they'd know if I went to the police. They're watching."

"I still think you should report it, but whatever." Heather shrugged, "You said you needed to go to the store, right? I'll come with you. Safer in twos."

I nodded, thanking her for coming. I double checked my window was jammed shut before leaving, locking the door behind me. We left the house and the second we did, I felt like I was being watched again. I pulled my hood up, putting my head down. I debated going back inside, but opted for just sticking to busy roads instead.

"It's so much quicker down the tree line route. We don't have to actually go in the forest, if that makes you feel better." Heather groaned, following me down the long route to the shops.

"The tree line makes me uncomfortable. I don't trust it." I mumbled, keeping my voice low, just in case.

"You're actually off your rocker. I feel obliged to tell somebody- this can't be good."

"I'm fine. I know something's going on, though. I'm certain."

All of a sudden, the feeling subsided. I relaxed, looking around. Nobody was watching me anymore. I couldn't feel their eyes on me, scrutinising my every move. It was so sudden; it was so obvious to me that they'd left quickly. I breathed a sigh of relief, enjoying my temporary freedom.

"They're gone." I grinned, facing Heather.

"You've definitely lost your sanity. Are you feeling alright?" Heather asked, placing her hand to my forehead, "You haven't got a temperature. You can't sense eyes on you, Cameron. That's not normal."

"I can." I protested, "If they're gone, there's nothing to worry about, though. I'm fine now."

"Whatever you say." Heather sighed, a worried look still on her face.

We chatted about school while we walked down the streets. I still wanted to avoid the tree line, just in case, but I felt a lot better. We have school tomorrow, so I need to get my homework done tonight or else I'm fucked. It would probably be best to stay in right now, anyway.

"I'm convinced your mum made the whole window thing up to scare you into staying home at night." Heather speculated, making me chuckle.

"Now that you mention it, that definitely sounds like something she'd do." I grinned, all paranoia gone, "I bet she did."

"What are you gonna do when you see Dug at school?" Heather cringed, thinking about that beast.

"Call me a rat, but I might tip off the school. I don't feel like being stabbed in the back in the urinals."