XX

I ran up the stairs, going as fast as I possibly could. 

The first thing Xavier had asked when we walked in was to see my room, which had made my face pale. That place was a fucking tip. It's one thing for Heather to judge me for my uncleanliness, but it felt different with Xavier. I wanted to impress him and dirty clothes sure as hell wouldn't do that. 

I had sent him to get me a glass of water to stall for time, but I knew the clock was ticking. I flung the door open, scrambling to pick up everything off the floor as quickly as I could. I dumped the piles of clothes in the washing basket, clearing everything on the floor into that one basket. Shoving it into the bathroom, I slammed the door shut. I quickly made my bed, hoping it made everything look at least a little better. 

"Cameron, can I come in?" Xavier called from the hallway, clearly a bit confused by all the banging sounds coming from my room.

I swung the door open, a tad flustered. He passed me the water and I downed it, setting the glass on my desk with the other plates and mugs. Not a lot I could do about that one. He didn't even glance at the dirty plates, his eyes scanning the rest of my room instead. 

I had a few posters tacked to my walls- just some bands, tv shows and art that I liked. He then looked through my video games, commenting his opinion on a few of them. We liked the same sort of stuff, which excited me. I found myself relaxing more, just being myself and talking about what I'm interested in. 

It didn't take long for me to pack a duffle bag full of clothes, school stuff and other bits I'd need. Most importantly, I packed my snack box into my bag, making Xavier chuckle. I wasn't leaving it here- what if I got hungry? 

"This room smells so strongly of you." Xavier seemed happy about that, sitting on the bed.

"Do you have heightened senses?" I questioned, curious as to how it worked. 

"It's not that strong in human form, but when we shift it's crazy." Xavier explained, "Your scent drives me wild, though- whether I'm in wolf or human form. It's sweet; you smell like bonbons." 

"Heather tells me that I smell like stale cigarettes and cheap body spray." I mused, "At least you can't smell that."

Xavier grinned, shaking his head with a laugh. I seemed to make him laugh a lot, which I was taking as a good thing. At least we have the same type of humour; I had found that a lot of people were challenged in the humour department, finding my jokes awkward. 

I finished packing my bag, looking over at Xavier to check was he was doing. My eyebrows shot up when I realised he had his head buried in my pillows, trying to subtly huff my scent like Fred huffs chemicals. Not that I could really judge him, since I had debated doing the same thing to his bed last night. 

"Ready to go?" I snapped him out of his bonbon-filled heaven.

"Sorry, it just smells really good." He blushed, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

That's certainly the first time I've ever been told that. He carried my bag outside, loading it into the car for me. While glancing back at the house, a wave of sadness hit me as I realised I had been kicked out again. It wouldn't be long before she forgives me, but it still sucked.

"Are you okay?" Xavier's voice was soft, comforting. 

I sent him the best reassuring smile I could muster, taking a hold of his hand. My hand was smaller than his, slotting into his hand like it was moulded to fit there. In some respect, I suppose it had been- considering we're mates. Destined to be together, or whatever. Xavier had offered me some books to read about the pack and werewolves in general, but I sort of just wished there was a video explaining it. I suck at reading non-fiction.