XXXII

Xavier's office was stunning.

He had told me that it was beautiful, but I hadn't expected it to be as grand as it was. Located on the top floor of the large Victorian mansion that acted as a pack house, it was lined from floor to ceiling with old books and even had a balcony around the books, so that you could reach the second floor of books easily. The ceilings were so high and in the centre hung a grand, old chandelier.

"Wow." I breathed, "Is it safe to walk along the second floor?"

I gestured up to the balcony wrapping around the inside of the study, wanting to see the books in closer detail.

"Of course." Xavier reassured me, "This whole house is safe; we get restoration work done every year. The fireplace still works too, so let me know if you get cold. We don't really feel the cold like you do, being werewolves and everything, so I probably wouldn't notice the cold. Plus, It'll give me a chance to use it."

I nodded silently and crossed the room, looking out the beautiful floor to ceiling window at the far end of the room. The top of the house was just about taller than the trees surrounding the house, so you could see the tree tops for miles.

"It reminds me of the view from the spot where you asked me out." I murmured, sending him a small smile.

His face melted at that and he stepped towards me, wrapping his arms around my waist. Ever since Jude's surprise visit, Xavier had been understandably very stressed out. We still hadn't gotten a moment to talk about what had actually happened, but I think that's why he asked me to come along to this pack meeting. I was happy he wasn't pushing me away to keep me safe, but instead inviting me to be a part of the pack.

"Who's actually going to be here?" I whispered, not wanting to break the peace.

"You, me, Noah, my father, Gracie and the elders." Xavier sighed, burying his face in my hair.

I bit my lip at that: the elders were going to be here soon?

I didn't have much time to freak out over that fact as a knock sounded out on the large oak door. Xavier reluctantly let me go and strode over to swing the door open, greeting them with a solemn smile and very official handshakes. Noah and Gracie were the first to take their seats at the sturdy wooden table.

I noticed that Gracie was showing a significant amount more than the average pregnant woman at her stage.

"Are you having twins?" I whispered to her, which was futile when you consider the fact they're all werewolves.

"No, I'm just fat, honey." She deadpanned, making my cheeks redden. How mortifying.

"Ignore her. She has a sick sense of humour. Werewolves have a shorter pregnancy than humans- it comes with the whole quick healing thing." Noah chuckled, receiving a glare from an elder.

"Now isn't the time for jokes." The elder hissed, taking her own seat at the table.

"Sorry I'm late." Xavier's father slipped into the room, closing the door behind me.

Now everyone was sat at the table I could have a proper look at everyone. The elders in question consisted of three women and one man, who indeed did look very elderly. Considering the fact that Xavier's dad only looked around thirty, I could only imagine how old these werewolves were. They must be ancient.

"Now that we're all here, I'd like to say a quick thank you for joining me for a meeting so late at night." Xavier began, "As you're surely aware, a rogue by the name of Jude broke into the local high school yesterday to intimidate students. Luckily, my mate intervened and managed to distract him until I arrived."