5

THE NEW KIDS DIDN'T seem terrified at all of the chaos that was St Joseph. As they walked through the halls, none of them seemed fazed by the graffiti and constant fighting, though Sahar seemed interested. Jay didn't show much emotion, even when it obviously pained him to stand on his ankle. She doubted it was a real sprain with how he had been holding up, but he should still get it checked out. For now, all that seemed to be on his mind was annoyance though as Mateo kept bothering him. He always did that, take a liking to angry people who mostly just caused trouble. She supposed that was why they were such close friends as well.

"So," he said," what got you kicked out of Athena?"

Gabriela heard the underlying question too. No one could get kicked out of Athena, simply because all of the students' parents there were too influential for it to happen. So why had ambassador Ryder allowed this? She was glad he didn't ask that though. From the reaction before it was pretty clear Jay had no intention of talking about his father and she intended to respect that.

"Shut up," Jay said.

"Let him be, Mateo," she said.

"But, Nena," he began, pouting.

"No buts," she said with a raised finger.

Jay just huffed, walking as fast as he could with his injury, his gaze stuck to the principal's tracksuit. As if feeling the eyes on him, he looked back, smiling when he made eye contact with Jay.

"Yes, son?" he said.

"Your tracksuit is hideous," Jay said.

He walked on then, bypassing the startled principal without looking back, not even when the man let out a booming laugh in response. Mateo's amusement was almost palpable as they continued on.

"Are you sure about assigning both of them to Gabriela?" he said to the principal," I wouldn't mind taking one of them to lighten the load."

The principal chuckled, slapping Mateo on the shoulder as he shook his head.

"No, I don't think so, son," he said," I'm afraid that would just prolong their stay here. You can help Gabriela though, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"I would," she said.

Mateo's smile got even brighter as he looked at the principal, a glint in his eyes.

"I'd love to," he said.

Gabriela rolled her eyes, before picking up the pace to walk with the new kids. She supposed getting to know them the first day would be good, especially with the task she had to do. Until now Jay really seemed to be the only problem child though, Sahar supporting him against his will as they walked. She had no idea why the girl was here as well, but with a little effort she could probably reform the two of them in a week tops. Jay couldn't even run away from her or fight with his injury, so she doubted it would take long.

"So," she said," looking forward to your stay here?"

"Oh yes!" Sahar smiled," this is the first time I've been in this neighborhood. Where's the building though?"

"What do you mean?" Gabriela said.

"The school building," she said," is it closeby?"

"It's this," Gabriela said with a wave at the grey building in front of them," this is St Joseph."

Sahar blinked, before her eyes widened in wonder.