Chapter 8 - Flower crowns

It had been a few weeks since Kokichi was living with Shuichi. It was nice.

Kokichi was probably the happiest he'd been.

He had been attending therapy, taking his antidepressants and things seemed to be looking up a little.

Therapy was helping with his mental health, keeping all the emotions he had bottled up made him feel a lot worse and he was just now realising that.

He was so thankful to Shuichi who was paying for his therapy lessons. He also started taking his antidepressants which didn't really make a difference so far.

Kokichi was laying on the bed in the spare room where he was staying. He looked up at the ceiling. Shuichi was away at work today and he was bored. He felt kinda bad that he was relying on Shuichi so much.

Kokichi thought to himself. Is there anything I can do for him? He works so hard and Kokichi kinda just used him.

He felt bad about it which was unlike him. He usually wouldn't care if he used someone and at the beginning, he didn't care that he was using Shuichi.

Now, his emotions began coming back to him and he didn't know how to feel about it. He sighed and put on some music.

MCR - Welcome to the black parade.

Kokichi plugged in his headphones and decided to go for a walk.

Something Shuichi would like...

He made his way into a small town square with lots of little shops. Shuichi had gave him money if he ever wanted to buy anything. Kokichi felt bad about taking it but now that he did, he thought about getting something for Shuichi.

Then he noticed a flower shop and decided to buy a bunch of flowers.

When Kokichi was younger, he would always make flowers crowns in the park.

"I'll make two! One for me, and one for Shuichi!"

Once he had finished making them he smiled in delight. He was actually proud with how they came out.

Kokichi got up and swiftly headed back to the house. He soon got back and opened the door, surprised to see that Shuichi was home.

"Saihara!" He yelled and ran up to him, hugging him tightly. He then pulled away and looked up at the detective. "I made you a flower crown!" Kokichi yelled and held them out.

Shuichi stared at him while Kokichi just grinned. "Kneel down so I can put it on!" The short boy whined and Shuichi knelt down. He carefully placed the flower crown on top of Shuichi's head.

The taller boy stood back up and noticed Kokichi was holding another one. "Ouma, you have another?"

Kokichi blushed slightly, "Um yeah, that's just a spare..." he said shyly. He had actually made it for himself but then realised how sad that was.

"Let me put it on you" Shuichi said and took the flower crown off him.

Shuichi looked at the crown the boy had made. It was actually beautiful. He could never make something like that.

As he admired it, his flower crown fell off. Kokichi quickly grabbed it and put it back on his head.

a/n art is by lemontea_star on instagram!! go check them out, their art is amazing!!!

Shuichi looked at Kokichi in shock. He had never seen him so happy before. Shuichi then smiled as well, it made him happy seeing Kokichi this happy.

He placed the flower crown on Kokichi's head and giggled slightly.

"I wanted to thank you, Shuichi. You have done so much for me and I don't know how I could ever replay you... So I decided to just do it in my own way by making you these. I made them a lot when I was younger." Kokichi said with a slight blush.

Shuichi blushed and smiled at him. "You don't need to thank me Kokichi... I care about you a lot and like you a lot."

Kokichi smiled at him. He genuinely felt the happiest he had ever felt. "Thank you so much Shuichi! I like you too!"

The detective smiled at him and turned around "I'll make us some food, okay?"

The purpled haired boy nodded before going through to his room.

Shuichi went into the kitchen and began cooking. He couldn't stop thinking about what he said.

"I like you a lot."

"I like you too!"

The detective hadn't necessarily meant it as a friend, he liked him more than that. Kokichi had meant it as a friend though.

Shuichi sighed as he looked out the window.

Right now, he needs to get better and I can help him with that as a friend. Then... Maybe after... We can take it further... Only if he wants to though!

Kokichi lay down on his bed and blushed as he thought about what Shuichi said.

No one had told him that he liked him before. It made him so happy. He finally had a friend, someone who genuinely cared about him. That was all he wanted right now.

He looked at his wrists. The cuts were healing and were now only scars.

He hadn't cut in ages and he was proud of himself.

"This is all thanks to Shuichi... He really is amazing huh? He'd be a great husband..."

Kokichi sighed dreamily and looked out the window. He had never been in a relationship before and had no idea what people even did in relationships. Sure, he had watched romance in anime and read it in manga but that was just fiction.

"Do I even like Shuichi like that?" Kokichi asked himself. He wasn't sure because he had never actually loved let alone liked anyone like that before.

"Maybe i'll do my research into this strange feeling..."