chapter 5

Noah POV

Why am I trying so hard?

Because she'll be in danger here.

I reach the top of the stairs.

I just met her, our mate bond has barely had time to deepen.

That's not what this is about.

Turning, I sniff for the Alpha's scent.

I have other things to worry about. My pack, the rogues, my...

I stop.

Why do all those things seem just as important as this?

I knew the mate bond would distract me, but this doesn't feel like a distraction. My heart feels like everything in my life has led me to her and I need to hold on tight and try with her. I want a chance to try with her.

I don't want to leave her here.

I don't know how things will go. I didn't even want this a couple of hours ago.

I know this is just the pull of the mate bond, but in the room, with her, I felt something more. More than some fated bond.

She, at least, deserves her freedom and I'll give that to her. I'll let her choose. My wolf and I agree on this, the first thing today.

"Noah!" Her voice rings in the home and I turn behind to come face to face with her. Eliana.

She reaches me and grabs my shoulder. The tingles from before begin again.

"I know we're mates but don't feel obligated to help me. I said it before, I'm fine. We haven't gotten that close yet so you should be ok." She tries to reason with me.

It seems she doesn't know a lot about the mate bond.

The moment you meet your other half it's like a timer has gone off. The female wolf goes into heat by the next week and pups are expected as soon as possible. It's what's done to preserve our race and keep our legacy going.

It's harder for the female wolf than it is the male wolf, but the pull is relentless. Especially if close contact is kept.

"No, I won't be and you won't be either." She's already doing things to stay in physical contact with me, seeing her hand still rests on my shoulder. She beat me to it.

If she was a normal pack member, I could've left her here during her heat and they would've probably locked her in a room with women guarding the door. But here, she would get raped by the wolves unable to control their lust smelling her heat.

My wolf snarls at the thought. I try to contain myself as my own anger flares.

She's coming home with me.

"You and your beta are outnumbered here to try and take me away." Her naive eyes stare up at me as I bring up a hand to place on her face.

"I can't let them hurt you. If you stay, you'll go into your heat and that will-"

"Alpha Noah. We've been looking for you." Liam and his father stroll down the stairs. I glare up at the two as they descend the steps. I look to Eliana and her head is already down, looking at the ground and the spot her hand once laid is empty.

I clench my fist.

"I'm taking Eliana back with me."

They reach the bottom of the stairs and walk towards us.

"You can't take her anywhere." Liam comments, returning my glare.

"She's my mate." I urge Eliana, gently behind me as I turn to them.

"I feel for you. It's unfortunate to be fated with the likes of her, so reject her and leave." The Alpha says.

"The likes of her?" I seethe. They want to get me angry.

"Alpha, no Noah- it seems you don't intend to follow the rules of this pack, so my wife and I have decided to ask you and your beta to leave." Kai walks in the area from the kitchen. He sends me a look and I nod.

"Fine, I'll be taking Eliana with us." I push her closer to my side.

"We already said that's not an option." Liam snarls.

"Your pack has broken too many laws. The Grand Council will hear of this."

Both men laugh and snicker in front of us.

"Please leave Alpha Noah, or if you need an escort, we have plenty." The pack warriors gather around us from a distance, seeming ready to attack.

My first pack visit and I've already made an enemy of them.

I look at Eliana, tucked behind me. She shakes her head and nods for me to leave.

"Ok. We'll leave. No escort needed."

I already have to launch an attack on them as well. It's a matter of our pack's pride and Eliana's rescue.

"Then bye." Liam waves to the door and my beta growls under his breath, letting a low hum fill the air.

I turn, step by step away from Eliana as her warmth on my back becomes absent. My wolf howls harder as the distance grows. I don't want to leave her here,but I'll be back. I'll be back for her.

The pack stares at us in silence as my beta follows me out the door.

"What do we do?" He asks as we near the car.

"How can I leave my mate with this pack?" I look back to see some of the pack members outside, staring after us.

"I thought you didn't want a mate?" He smirks, tossing me the keys while jogging to the passenger side door.

"I haven't thought too much about that right now, I just want her away from these people." I catch them and unlock the car, as we both hop in.

"Are you sure about all this? It seems like a lot, especially for you." I start the car, and pull out.

"I don't really know but I need her safe and I won't let our pack name be disrespected like this."
_______________________________________
534 ~ 4/22/20

Hey guys thank you so much for 500 views! I appreciate the support and d I hope you're all doing well during these unsettling times.

Next chapter is out the 24th! So look out for that.

How are y'all feeling about Noah?

Thanks again.

XO.