chapter 6⛲

Kunle

"My guy," Chris said, walking into the office.

I lifted my eyes from the pile of paper works on my desk and stared melancholy at him.

He stopped on his tracks and tucked his hands in his Jean trouser. "Jesus, you look like a ghost."

"Did you sleep?"

I raised a brow in response to his question and focused my attention back on my work.  After getting the deteriorating news of my ex pregnancy, my day turned from fabulous to sour and ended with me sleeping in my office.

She is pregnant. The three-letter words I always got to see the moment I closed my eyes.

"Stand up,"  He commanded, still standing at his spot in front of the door.

"Why-" The swinging of the door stopped my reply, as Grace bumped into Chris, spilling my coffee on him.

Standing with unknown strength, I rushed to Chris's side and turned to Grace. "What is wrong with you?"

"Chris?" She inquired, ignoring my question.

"You," Chris said, he lets out a dry Laugh and turned to me.

"What are you doing here? And I'm sorry about your shirt," She apologized.

"It's ok, Kunle here is my friend."

I stood with my hands folded on my chest, enjoying the scene.

"I'm sorry sir, I didn't know someone was standing close to the door," Grace apologized, finally taking her eyes off Chris.

"Grace, Can you excuse us?" 

She nodded and walked out of the office taking the tray and cup along with her.

I turned to Chris who had a smug smile.

"Dude, what's up?"

"That's the girl, I was talking about."

"Which girl?"

"My new target, in your hotel."

"Haha seriously? Grace?"

"Yes, I thought she worked at the hotel? What is she doing in your office? serving you coffee?"

"She's my new personal assistant."

"Ah, Kunle."

"What?"

"What do you need an assistant for? I thought you said you could handle everything yourself?"

"Don't laugh, If you try it I will kill you here," I said moving back to my desk.

Chris covered his mouth with his hands, an attempt to stop his roar of laughter.

"But seriously, I want her." I looked up, shocked by the lust in his tone.

"I don't have an issue with that, just don't interfere with her work hours," I said, dismissing the topic with a wave of my hand.

"So you won't mind if I take her out to have fun?"

"Not at all."

"You are the best," He moved from his rooted spot to me, with outstretched hands.

"Guy, hold yourself, I'm not hugging you." I pushed him aside.

"Are we going to get breakfast or not?"

"We are, just give me a minute, let me talk to her."

I watched him walked out of the office and shook my head. I stood from ontop my desk, wore my jacket that hung behind my chair, and placed my phone in my pocket, just then, Chris walked in.

"Let's go?"

"Yes, but we need to shower first."

"Guy, you want me to die of hunger?"

"No, but we need to be cautious, we might meet some hot ladies, you know?" He said, in a whimsical tone.

"I don't know."

We ambled out of the office with Chris leading the way. I stopped at Joy's desk, where Grace sat.

"Fix my office, you can take the day off, I will call you if I need anything," I said to her.

With a smile, I turned to Joy. "Tell Kevin, to get her office-ready. I don't want her hanging around you like a bird, you all have your duties."

She nodded in understanding and I sauntered to the elevator, where Chris stood waiting patiently for me.

***

Grace

I returned the tray and cup in the little storeroom and sat in front of Joy with a racing heart.

Grace, you don mess up, I'm sure he will sack you. I thought, inhaling and exhaling slowly.

"What happened?" Joy inquired.

"I think, I just ended my job here," I said, adjusting the sleeves of my blue shirt.

What is Chris doing here? Is Kunle this heartless, that he gave his friend the job of a receptionist.

Just then, the door to Kunle's office opened and Chris walked out.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" He asked.

I stood and moved to him. "I'm sorry about this." I pointed to the design made by the spilled coffee on his shirt.

"It's ok."

I sighed and folded my hands on my chest. "Your friend is going to relieve me of my job, I'm sure of that fact."

"Don't be too sure, I spoke to him and he is not," he assured, with a smile.

"I know it's a bit confusing seeing me with your boss when I told you I work as a receptionist in his hotel."

I nodded.

"I will love to explain things to you over dinner."

"I can't."

"Please, just consider it your payment for my shirt."

"You are funny, but I still can't," I declined, with a smile

"I will kneel, and beg you, you want that?"

"Please don't."

"Maybe another time then, Just know you are indebted to me." He pointed to the stain on his shirt, winked at me and walked back into the office.

"Be careful with that one," Joy said, her straight face focused on the computer before her.

"Yes ma'am," I said, taking my seat.

A few minutes later, Chris walked out of the office, winked at me, and strolled to the elevator. Kunle followed suit, but stopped in front of Joy's desk and glared at me with irritation.

"Fix my office, then you take the day off, I will call you if I need anything."

"Yes sir," I whispered, as my stomach rumbled with happiness.

Kunle turned to Joy, who stopped typing the moment he walked out of his office.

"Tell Kevin to get her office ready, I don't want her hanging around you like a bird, you all have your different duties."

I looked at him, my lips parted in shock, but he Ignored me and proceeded to the elevator where Chris stood waiting for him.

Did he just call me a bird?

A useless bird at that, my subconscious answered.

Hissing, I stood from my spot and walked into his office, ready to clear the mess on his desk and have the rest of the day to myself.

***
Glossary.

Grace you don mess up---- grace you've done something really bad