Wattpad Orijinal İçeriği
Ücretsiz 64 bölüm kaldı

IV: some thing's pet

Ch. 4: Some Thing's Pet

Mara turned her flashlight off and waited. Someone lifted and turned the old latch in the fence's iron gate, then pushed it; a loud metallic screech filled the night. A couple of streets away, a dog barked.

For a moment, she considered her options. Mara could answer the door and pretend everything was okay. Without a warrant, the police couldn't enter her house if she didn't let them...but there was so much blood everywhere that any peek would be the best invitation. There was also whatever Cauê told them, plus the fact that Tai wasn't wounded anymore. The police would never believe that the blood belonged to Tai. Her past and her looks wouldn't make this easier either. Best case scenario, she'd spend two months in jail until Father came back from his latest job. In the meantime, Kiki would be alone or worse.

Shit.

Was it the fear speaking?

No. Think about Kiki.

She was tired. She was so tired. Mara looked at the walls. Red lights swept the room through her windows, and crossing them, she counted two other white beams that flicked all over as if studying the place. Two officers, then. It made sense, considering what Cauê had seen.

This was bad. This was really bad.

Her stomach dropped a few centimeters, her breathing shallowed, and her mouth dried, the air invading and escaping her lungs like needles of ice. This couldn't be happening. Not again, not after everything Mara had gone through to have a quiet life. A warm trail broke the coldness of her cheek; she all but slapped the tear away and thanked the darkness for hiding that little moment of weakness.

"We have to go," Tai said in a serious voice.

"Really? And here I thought we should invite them in for a coffee." Mara grinned, but there was no mirth in the gesture.

She needed to wake Kiki up and make sure she would be safe, but...how? Mara left Tai and advanced through the short, maze-like corridors sidestepping vases and the toys on the floor until she reached the room she was looking for.

"Kiki," she called in a whisper. She didn't give her sister enough time to wake up. Mara scooped Kiki up and brought her to the big toy box on the other side of the room. "Listen, baby, I'll need to leave for a few hours." As she whispered, Mara had one hand in the box, taking everything hard or dangerous out and filling it with stuffed animals and blankets. "I want you to hide in here, okay?"

"Mr. Toy eater, Mara?"

"Yes, honey."

Steps on the gravel outside. They'd be there at any moment.

"Stay here until you're sure you're alone in the house, Kiki." Mara reached for her sister's favorite jacket and wrapped it around her. Shoes, stuffed unicorn, her cane. She placed everything in the exact place Kiki would expect them to be, then tugged her close and pressed a kiss on her forehead. "Do you remember the path to Mss. Francisca's home?"

"Mara, I'm scared."

A heavy knock on the door. Mara's shoulders jumped.

"Get the path to Mss. Francisca's house, Kiki. Ask her to sleep there tonight. Tell her I'll be back by morning to get you—and then leave before she wakes up. Okay?"

"But Mara—"

Another heavy knock. "Mariana Alakija Fonseca?" a deep voice called from the front door. "This is the Police."

"Kiki, please."

Kiki's breathing quickened. The little girl couldn't know it, but she slapped her tear away in the same manner Mara had done a few minutes before.