Author's Note

Welcome to my Modern Fairy Tale Retelling! 

Considering how obsessed I am with fairy tales it's amazing this is the only straight forward retelling of a certain tale I have (I'm not counting Ordinary World in this). But Beauty and the Beast has really resonated with me, especially in my later years, so this story will always hold a very special spot in my heart. I did a lot of strange, in-depth, and amazing research into this well-known story, watching so many things, reading so many more things, and seeing it from so many more angles than just its famous Disney animated version (which I also pay tribute to because it's still one of my all-time favorite animated masterpieces).

It was really fun to put a spin on some of the regular beats of this story and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed writing them. :)

I'm not going to do a cast list, because the old one just doesn't work anymore. So just depend on the chapter drawings or whoever you see in your head as a good casting. And let me know who you are casting, I always like to hear a good cast suggestion.

 And let me know who you are casting, I always like to hear a good cast suggestion

Here's the playlist on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2MUU9p9xuwgt6b8rUsHe73

1. Can't Take It In - Imogen Heap (Opening Credits Song)
It couldn't be anymore beautiful

2. Cast No Shadow - Oasis (The Beauty's Theme)
He walks along the open road of love and life, surviving if he can ... 

Chained to all the places that he never wished to stay  ...

As they took his soul they stole his pride

3. Invincible - OKGo (The Beast's Opening Theme)
The entire song is the Beast's opening scene

4. The Walk - Imogen Heap (The Beast DOES NOT want to like The Beauty Song)
Oh I was doing so well / Can we just be friends? / I feel a weakness coming on

It's not meant to be like this / Not what I planned at all / I don't want to feel like this / So that makes it all your fault

5. Believe - The Bravery (They Need Each Other Theme) 
So give me something to believe / Cuz I am livin' just to breathe / And I need something more / To keep on breathin' for / So give me something to believe

6. Pink Light - Laura Veirs (The Beast's Apology Song)

Sorry I was cruel / I was protecting myself

7. Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson (The Beast's Theme)
I just want to be OK today ... I just want to feel something today ... 

Open me up and you will see / I'm a gallery of broken hearts ...

Just give me back my pieces  / And let me hold my broken parts

8. The Shining - Badly Drawn Boy (Atmosphere song)

9. Soul and the Sea - Joshua James (Atmosphere song)

10. Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop - Landon Pigg (The Big Dope Finally Figures It Out Song)
I think that possibly, maybe I'm falling for you / Yes there's a chance that I've fallen quite hard over you  ...

All of the while, I never knew / All of the while, all of while it was you

11. Ordinary Day - Vanessa Carlson (The Beauty's Theme According to The Beast)
Just a day, just an ordinary day / Just trying to get by / Just a boy, just an ordinary boy, but he was lookin' to the sky ...

12. Goodnight and Go - Imogen Heap (The Beast Serenades The Beauty)
Why'd you have to be so cute? / It's impossible to ignore you / Must you make me laugh so much? / It's bad enough we get along so well ...

We'd be good, we'd be great together

13. Heal Over - KT Tunstall (The Beauty Comforts The Beast Song)
I'm over here, lady / Let me wipe your tears away / Come a little nearer, baby / Cuz you'll heal over, heal over, heal over someday

14. Blood Muscle Skin and Bone - Brandi Carlisle (The Beast Needs The Beauty Song)
I know that I can count on you / Because you never led me astray / You bring the truth back to me now / You always light my way / I need somebody strong for when I'm feeling weak / With an open heart that can listen / For when my soul's too tired to speak

15. Sweet Rose - Matt Costa (The Beauty's Song to The Beast)
My sweet rose, as the two of us change / I want you to know that nothing stays the same / But you and I, we will remain / My rose, remember my rose 

My sweet rose / I want to be / I want to be the one to hold you tight / Have faith in me / I'll be your light 

16. No Sex for Ben - The Rapture (The Telling Benny to Suck It Song)

17. Better Together - Jack Johnson (Because They Are! Song)

I tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together

18. Kiss Me, Oh Kiss Me - David Fonseca (Graduation Montage Song)

19. The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls (The Great Escape Theme)
Throw it away! Forget yesterday!  / We'll make the great escape / We won't hear a word they say / They don't know us anyway / Watch it burn / Let it die / Cuz we are finally free tonight!

20. The Bird and the Worm - Owl City (The Beauty & Beast's Theme According to the Beauty)

You and I left our troubles far behind . . .

21. Breathe In - Frou Frou (The Closing Credits/Happily Ever After Montage Song)

Hope you enjoy this little romp. Please comment when you can, because I don't know if this is even being seen without comments telling me so, so it's very helpful.

Thanks and kisses!

-Jen

P.S. And also: all of the original artwork, scribbles and whatnot are done by me. :)

 :)