TWENTY-FOUR: Where the Beast Gets Burned

The next day, two and a half weeks until prom

The next morning, Andie had a fleeting fear that the day before had all been a dream.

She remained in her bed for several seconds, staring at her clock, wondering why she had woken up so early. Pushing the clunky earphones off her head – and letting them fall to the floor still spewing music – she wondered if these cloudy memories of sweet kisses and warm embraces were only memories of a spectacular dream, not reality.

Then her phone rang.

"Hi honey!" Keefe chirped from the other end. "Did I wake you?"

Honey ... he had never called her that before. It was so old-fashioned, something an old man calls his wife of sixty years, not a teenage boy referring to his new girlfriend.

His girlfriend. The night before hadn't been a dream after all.

"Hi. No, I just woke up a few minutes ago. I don't know why. I'm not supposed to get up for another forty-five minutes." She rubbed her eyes and relaxed against her pillow happily. "Why are you calling me so early?"

"Ugh," he groaned. "I have some bad news I'm afraid."

Her stomach bunched up painfully, shooting a burst of panic through her. Was he already having second thoughts? Was he already going to ruin the dream?

"I can't ride with you to school today," he said.

She almost laughed out loud. She was so paranoid.

"Cillian just called me from the shop and he's flipping out over some of the numbers. He claims we're missing a bunch of money and he's practically in convulsions."

Andie's eyes widened. "Do you think someone stole money?"

"No, no, nothing like that. The truth is Cillian sucks with numbers, as do the rest of the guys. I'm sure something just wasn't added up right. Anywho, I have to go over there and straighten it out before he has a heart attack. I should be at school in time before the bell rings but not in time to pick you up in my coach." His voice was grinning.

"Oh, okay," she said, disappointed that she'd have to wait a little longer to see him but glad she got to hear his voice at least. "I'll have Boris take me."

"He'll love that," Keefe chuckled. "Meet me at your locker before first?"

She found herself smiling like a big dope. "I think I can do that."

"I can't wait," he said. "It's been less than twelve hours, my prince, but I miss the hell out of you."

She turned her face away from the phone and squealed a little into her pillow, making sure it was properly muffled, before turning back. "Funny how stuff like that can happen huh? We're a mess, my lady."

"If this is what being messy feels like, I'll take it."

"Alright, enough with the mushy stuff, go help your dad," Andie said, squirming.

"Will do. See you at school."

"Can't wait."

He paused for a moment then said softly, "Me neither."

~*~

When she got to school, she nearly flew to her locker, hoping he would already be there. She knew he was a whiz when it came to math, so if he was right and Cillian just hadn't added up some numbers correctly, then he should be at school now.

She turned a corner and sped down the hall. It wasn't until she was passing the first few rows of other lockers that she saw him.

Or what was most likely him.