Chapter 41: The Prologue

Tobias

A week. a whole week I sat there looking at these walls as I tried to remember how this place used to look when she was in it. But it wasn't the same, nothing felt the same without her, nothing felt right without her and it hurt like hell.

I had no inspiration, no want to do anything, I didn't even want to leave the house but I knew today I had to. I had been avoiding Ashleigh's calls every single day but today was the charity gala and the cause was so personal to me so I had to be in attendance. 

I had promised the director that I would be there and I made a promise to myself, the cause meant so much to me and as soon as I saw what the charity was fundraising for I jumped at the chance.

The charity helps with the study of Placenta Previa, the condition my mother had when she was pregnant with me, the same thing that took her from this earth. The same condition that lays with me every night when I think of how life would have been if she were still here.

I wish I could have known what she was like, smelt like, what her laugh sounded like and how soothing her voice was but I never got to experience the love that my brother did and that's why I could never blame him for the way he feels towards me. Me being born was the reason she was no longer here and I still have to live with that everyday.

I drove along the smooth roads with one hand on the steering wheel and my body in auto-pilot. My suit was crisp and neat, I decided on a formal black suit with a white dress shirt and a black bow tie, my suit fit like a glove and so did the Armani boxers I had put on. The boxers she gifted me.

It was a materialistic item but I needed something to get me through. I couldn't hear her lulling voice, or watch the smile grow on her face, or the sound of her gorgeous laugh or even get to feel her velvety skin underneath my fingertips.

I focused on the road but all I wanted to do was shut my eyes and envision her, she was my calm before the storm and I felt a huge storm brewing in my chest.

I pulled up to the front of the grand venue, I stepped out of the car as the valet walked towards me. I passed him my car keys and patted his back before walking away. "Enjoy your night Mr. Wrexler. It's said to be one hell of a night."

As soon as I walked into the banquet hall I saw that the function was in full swing, all of the women were in designer dressers and the men dressed in suits and tuxedo's, both with a masquerade masks for the occasion.

A waiter soon made his way over to me with a tray of champagne flutes with expensive champagne filled halfway to the brim. I instantly took a flute with a gracious thank you before the waiter continued to make his rounds. After a few small sips, I surveyed the hall for anyone that looked familiar until I saw the director and his wife coming towards me.

I greeted them, we spoke for a little while and they thanked me for my usual generous donations. The conversation soon came to an end as they had quite a few more donors and benefactors to greet. I shook his hand firmly before his wife kissed both of my cheeks then slid her hand into her husbands' before he kissed her knuckle and they walked away hand in hand.

As I watched them walk away I felt a pang of jealousy run through me because I wanted that, that everlasting love that I would never have to hide and there was only one woman I would ever want that with. And for some reason, the universe was against us, the world was against us and now somehow even she was against us.

I couldn't understand why she left and I wanted to know, in fact I needed to know why. I had fallen in love with her in a matter of weeks, I thought I at least deserved to be told why she had chosen to leave me, or at least given some sort of closure. It hurt every fiber of my body to not want to fight for her and I would have if she told me she needed me to but she hadn't told me anything. And I think that feeling was worse.