chapter 6

The last few days have been quiet. I‘ve been resting in the tent and let me tell you, it’s boring as hell. The boys have been keeping me company but also go out and have some time to their selves. Officer Russell gave us a few days off so we can recovery a little. I get slight headaches but nothing too major. I can start training again tomorrow.

            I decide to go to the cafeteria. On my way over to the building, I get a few smiles, high fives, and even some cat calls from some of the soldiers. After the last mission, the guys at our base camp have been treating me like a hero. It’s kind of funny. I walk into the cafeteria and get some food. I go to an empty lunch table and after a moment, my table was surrounded by many soldiers, setting down their trays of food and sitting down. An arm goes around my shoulders and I look to my side to see one of the guys smiling at me. He leans closer and wiggles his eyebrows at me. I laugh and shove him away lightly. He just grins and goes back to his food.

            It used to never be like this. I used to just eat alone. In the beginning, some guys would shove me while walking past me or just ignore me. I didn’t mind that much and mostly stayed out of their ways. After the mission though, a bunch of them just sat next to me and started chatting with me. It was refreshing. Most of the guys were fun and laid back. They would tell me about their families and how they can’t wait to end this war. I even got to see some pictures. It was nice talking freely and laughing along. They finally accepted me. Some even said they would like to work with me on the battlefield one day. I hope for that day too.

            After lunch, I went back to the tent to find Tristan reading a book while he’s lying on his bed. He looks up and smiles a charming smile at me. I just smile back and go towards his bed. I sit on the edge of his bed and he gives me a questioning look.

            “What? I’m bored.” I say.

            Tristan puts his book down and sits up to get a better look at me.

            “Milady, you are always welcomed to my bed.” He winks at me.

            “And that’s my cue to leave.” I say as I start to get up.

            I feel a hand grab my wrist and pull me down. I feel myself fall and close my eyes as I land on a bumpy bed. I open my eyes to see Tristan over me. His face is so close! I feel my face start to heat up.

            “What are you doing?” I ask.

            “I just didn’t want you to leave.” He said.

            “Well you could have just said so. You didn’t have to force me on your bed.” I say, irritated.

            He smiles but not just a charming smile but a genuine smile. I gasped and realized just how handsome he really was.

            “But how else was I going to get you in my bed?” He asks.

            I blush again and curse myself for falling for his tricks. He looks at my face. I see him analyzing it. I see his eyes go from my hair to my eyes to my nose to my lips. He stops at my lips longer than I would have liked him to and then looks back up at my eyes. He seems to be searching for something in my eyes.

            “Tristan?” I ask.

            “What are you hiding from me Anna?” He asks all of a sudden.

            That caught me off guard.

            “What?” I ask.

            “You seem to be hiding something. Something you don’t want others to know about you. What is it?” He asks, intending to get an answer.