CHAPTER NINE

A I D E N

I ran out of the conference room to answer my phone when Caroline called for the fourth time in a row.

"Hello?" I said, quickly, thinking she was in some sort of trouble.

"Where have you been, Aiden?" she practically barked from the other end of the line.

"I'm in a meeting, Caroline. Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"Do you know that it's been two weeks since our last wedding planning meeting?" she exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes. "Really? Has it? What an outrage," I said, sarcastically.

Caroline didn't notice my sarcasm and replied, "It is! I don't know how we will get anything ready by next June if we don't keep to a schedule."

"Caroline," I said, patiently, "It's September. You still have eight whole months."

"There's so much to do, Aiden!" she shrieked.

"Isn't that why we hired a wedding planner?" I asked, genuinely baffled as to what the hurry was.

"Rosalie can only tell me what I need to do and where I need to go! She can't pick out things for me. God, Aiden, you can be so infuriating sometimes!" Caroline huffed.

I rolled my eyes again. That makes the two of us.

"Okay, okay," I said, trying to calm her down, "What do you need me to do? Why did you call me?"

"Well, Aiden, I called Rosalie today and she and I both agreed that a planning meeting is long overdue. So, she agreed to meet with us this evening. I told her that we would do a session over dinner," Caroline calmly told me.

"What do I need to do?" I asked.

"Well, it's going to be at your apartment, Aiden," she said, like it was so obvious.

"Why does it have to be at my place? Why can't we do it at yours?" I asked.

"We can't have the paparazzi follow her to my apartment," Caroline said, outraged.

I raised an eyebrow. "And it's okay if they find my apartment?"

Caroline tittered. "Oh, darling, you're a boy. No one cares where you live."

"Fine," I agreed, letting her win, again, because I had to get back to my meeting, "Anything else?"

"Well, we need dinner, of course," she said, more to herself than to me, "And I told Rosalie to come at seven."

"I'll be there," I promised.

"Did you hear me properly, Aiden? Seven. Sharp. It's your house so you need to be there to let us in."

"Yes, dear, I know. I'll be there," I said, tired.

"No working late today," she said.

"No working late," I repeated.

"Seven o'clock sharp. See you then, darling," she said, and hung up.

Even though I rolled my eyes again as I walked back towards the conference room, I couldn't help feel strangely enthused by the idea of wedding planning.

Inside the conference room, everyone was milling around, drinking coffee and discussing paperwork. I scanned the room and walked over to the man who Arthur Hammond had introduced to me a few weeks ago.

"Ian Jeffries, right?" I said.

"Yes, Mr. Carlisle," he said, smiling, "Anything I can do."

"Yes, can you give me the liquidation proposal you were talking about?" I asked.