Chapter 14

"Matilda? Matilda?" Samuel sighed, wishing the girl would stop worrying about him. He huffed, put his phone back in his pocket, and went on his way. A little American girl, who he now knew as Laurel followed behind him. The cornfield was big, with stalks that seemed to stretch for miles. Crows could be heard from a distance. Laurel trotted right up next to him as they walked through the maze.

"Who was that?" she asked.

"Her name's Matilda.."

"Why was she crying?"

"She was hurt by bad people. So, she's always scared that she, I, or others will be hurt too."

"I used to be like that, but now I'm with you!" Laurel smiled up at him. She had long, light blond hair and such an adorable little face, he couldn't help but smile back. But a little lower his eyes went, and he had to turn away. Her smile melted. "What's wrong, Mister?"

"You need clothes," said Samuel, looking straight ahead.

"Why?"

"Because... they'll keep you safe; if you wear them on your body."

"Oh..." she looked ahead, then looked back up to him with a smile. "What should I wear?"

"Ehr, whatever you want, I guess. Most of the girls I know around your age wear dresses, but many others don't. One of the inpatients at the hospital hates them..."

"Mister, what's an 'impatient?'"

Samuel stopped paying attention to his surroundings, as in his thoughts were on the children in the Hospital's Care unit. It took up at least a fourth of the building, and it's split up into two sections; children on the first floor and adults on the second. With some further thinking, he had a revelation. He looked down at the girl and said, "Laurel?"

"Yes, Mister?" The little girl asked, still deciding on what to wear. Different types of clothes with different patterns appeared on her body. She stopped on the one the man was wearing. She looked up as Samuel walked in front of her. He squatted down on his toes and used his hand as a third leg.

"Have you seen The Wizard of Oz before?"

"Mm-mmh," she said, shaking her head 'no.'

"Okay, well, in the movie, the little girl got home by saying 'there's no place like home' three times, and clicking her heels three times. What I want to do is that same thing, okay?"

The girl looked at him with anxiety in her eyes. "Where will it take me, Mister?"

"To a safe place, I promise, but we have to do it together."

"But it didn't work when you did it inside the hill!"

Right, I've done it already. "Well, maybe it will work now that we're in the open."

"Not really," she said, looking at the corn.

"Look up at the sky," Samuel said. Laurel did just that and asked why. "You can see that very same sky at that safe place. That might mean it will work."

"So, that safe place couldn't hear you?"

"Put that way, yes. Would you like to see if the City will hear us?"

"What if someone hears us?"

"Then we better be quick!" He shuffled to get on his knees and put his hands on the girl's shoulders. "Now, say it with me,"

Samuel said it first, and the girl repeated him as he said it. "Good," he said, encouraging her, "Good. Now let's say it again." They said the line again, then again. "Now, tap your heels together three times." Samuel closed his eyes as they both did it at nearly the same time. A would-be a sub-par job to his old teachers, but it was no matter to him.