Chapter 5

A little later, Ethan had wandered into the room, Elijah sitting next to the bed with a book as he waited for Y/N to wake up. He looked up when he heard Ethan's soft steps coming down the hall. He gave a welcoming smile as he looked into the room and saw Elijah and his mother.

Ethan looked around as he entered the room and gave a small, shy wave to Elijah. "Hi." He said, his voice soft. Elijah set his book to the side and answered his son, "Hello."

Ethan fidgeted slightly, his camera resting on his shoulders as he fiddled with the straps. He stared at the bed where he mother laid, still not moving. Elijah started speaking to Ethan to distract him from her, he could tell how uncomfortable Ethan felt.

"You like to take pictures?" Elijah asked, letting his posture settle into a slight bend to make Ethan a little more comfortable. Elijah could tell that the straight posture he liked to keep was a little intimidating to Ethan at the moment, the confidence not matching well with his shyness.

Ethan looked down at the camera and nodded a little, his eyes still glancing to Y/N every now and then. His nodded and said, "Yes. We travel a lot, so I take pictures of the places we've been."

Elijah nodded, a little smirk on his face as he got to know his son. "Where are all the places you've been?" Ethan smiled a little, coming out of his shelf as he talked about what he liked to do.

"Well, we've moved around a lot. We've been almost everywhere. One of my favorites is France. And Mom's told me about home, she said it was in Virginia...but I've never been."

Elijah furrowed his brows, curious as to why she had yet to take her son to the place she was raised. "Why is that?" He questioned.

Ethan shrugged and looked at Y/N as he spoke, "She said it's because she doesn't know if it's safe."

Elijah nodded, understanding perfectly well. He smiled as he sat on the foot of the bed, patting the spot next to him for Ethan to sit. He climb on top of the bed and sat next to Elijah, awkwardly fiddling with the camera.

Elijah started speaking, his voice gentle as he said, "Many centuries ago, when your mother and I lived in Virginia, we used to have village gatherings. Some of the fighters in our village would talk about their adventures, others would dance around the large bonfire in the center of the village."

Ethan smiled as he listened to Elijah speak about their home. Ethan pitched in, "That's sounds like a lot of fun."

"It was. I enjoyed the ones I got to spend with your mother the most." Elijah said, looking behind him to see Y/N, and then looking back to Ethan.

"The place we lived is called Mystic Falls. And, yes, it can be fairly dangerous. which is why I can understand her reason for not taking you." Elijah trailed off.

Ethan suddenly asked, changing the subject, "How many siblings do you have?"

Elijah smiled and told him, "I have five. My older siblings, Freya and Finn. My younger siblings, Niklaus, Kol, and Rebekah. You've met Niklaus..."

Ethan looked down at the camera, fiddling with it as he asked, "Do you get along with your siblings?" Elijah stopped and took in a breath as he tried to choose his words carefully, "I wouldn't necessarily say we 'get along'."

Ethan looked down again and Elijah spoke up, "My family has a vow. 'Always and Forever'."

"What does it mean?" Ethan asked. Elijah began to say something when Ethan clarified, "I've learned that a lot of things have another meaning behind the words."

Elijah smiled. He was so much like Y/N and it shined in the way he behaved and the way his eyes shined. But there was also so much of himself inside of Ethan. It brought a smile to his face as he answered, "Well...it's a vow to be there for each other no matter what may happen. A vow to always be by each other's sides."