Chapter Fifteen

AFTER THEY'D gathered the kids, the elder Carters walked out to the car

AFTER THEY'D gathered the kids, the elder Carters walked out to the car. They didn't say anything. They didn't have to. It was apparent in the worried look in their eyes and the lack of conversion.

A two of the children fell asleep in the car on the ride home. Samantha carried Olivia, while Nathaniel dealt with Kenneth. She was on her way out of the nursery, headed towards her own room to take a nap herself when Nathaniel stooped her.

"We have to talk," He announced starkly.

Deep down he was nervous, about where the conversation was certainly going to head to. He wasn't ready. Yet he knew they couldn't delay the confrontation much longer.

"I don't know where to start," He said after an awkward moment.

Samantha said nothing. She didn't know where to start, either. A sense of heady relief that he was willing to bring everything into the open filled her. With it came a sense of regret, too, over the fact that it was even necessary.

"I didn't mean for it to happen," He said, his anger buried just below the surface of his words. "I certainly didn't plan it, if that's what you're thinking"

"I-realized that."

"I know I frightened you."

"No." She replied immediately, making Nathaniel confused by her answer. He could sense the reluctant meaning to her words.

"I didn't?" He seemed more confused as she nodded her head to his question. Plowing his fingers through his hair, he turned abruptly and moved away from her. "I-I don't know what came over me. I love Natasha-I haven't been with another woman since..."

At the mention of her sister's name, Samantha went stiff. The implication nearly choked her, and her heart sank to her knees. "In other words you were-horny-and I just happened to be handy."

"No." The lone word was practically shouted. What that how it sounded like? "God, no. It wasn't that at all."

"Then what was it?"

"If I knew that, do you think I'd be putting us through this hell?" He demanded, pacing around the living-room. "I didn't kiss just any woman. It was you. I'm attracted to you, Sam." He made it sound like a confession, one that would convict him of a malicious crime. "I don't know when it happened, or even how. I suspected it's only natural, the two of is living here the way we do."