nine

CHAPTER NINE

'drawing lines'

HANDS STAINED BLUE FROM HER furious scribbling, Lucy Richardson diligently wrote down every word her AP Biology teacher was saying. Their test was the next day, and the girl was determined to pass. Biology was her best subject, and she desperately wanted to do well.

Imogen, beside her, was lazily drawing scribbles in the back of her notebook, head resting tiredly on her palm. She claimed listening in class hindered her ability to learn and had point-blank refused to even look at the teacher. How she managed to do so well in school was the biggest mystery, and also incredibly unfair.

When the bell rang, Imogen was the first to jump out of her seat, snapping her book shut and pulling her bag over her shoulder. She was radiating giddiness, which wasn't surprising considering how love-struck she was. She practically pulled the Richardson girl out of the classroom, with Lucy just barely being able to grasp onto the handouts at the front of the room as she was dragged away.

"Imogen," Lucy laughed, twisting out of the girl's hold just in front of her locker. Around them, the hallway bustled to life, with people pushing to the cafeteria. "Calm down,"

But the girl wasn't listening, and a bright grin was set on her face. Her behaviour wasn't typical Imogen fashion, but developing feelings for someone wasn't, either. "I'm going to call Penny."

"What, now?"

"Yeah." Imogen said firmly, pulling her bag further up her shoulders. "We were texting all night last night, and she wanted to call today."

Lucy had been surprised when Imogen had bustled up to her on Monday, excitedly informing her that the redhead girl she had met at party had been texting her all weekend. The teenager had assumed Imogen wasn't the type for relationships, but it became apparent that she had genuinely developed an interested in the girl.

"Well that's good!" Lucy cheered, shoving her stuff into her locker. "You should ask her out to dinner or something."

A hesitant look flickered across the blonde girl's face. "I don't know..."

"It's clear she's into you. You guys had so much fun at the party, and you've been talking every day since. Plus, you like her. So do it," The Richardson female encouraged, slamming her locker shut.

"Okay," A resolved look appeared in Imogen's eyes, and her cavalier charm returned. "Okay. I'll do it."

"She'll say yes." Lucy reassured her.

"She will," Imogen reiterated, taking a step back towards the exit. "I'll talk to you after school."

"Good luck!" The girl exclaimed, watching her friend swagger out of the school building. She was happy for her. Imogen deserved to find someone.