twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

'broken thermostat'

THE CRIMSON RED HOUSE SEEMED almost like a beacon upon the dreary backdrop of dark clouds and hazy fog

THE CRIMSON RED HOUSE SEEMED almost like a beacon upon the dreary backdrop of dark clouds and hazy fog. Its structure was familiar, creating a stark juxtaposition as Lucy drove up the driveway, and she silently marvelled at how distinct, individual it was. She liked it.

"Are you coming?" The voice of her cousin was impatient, breaking the slight daydream she had fallen into. She turned in her seat, seeing the male peering down into the car from the passenger side. Voice partially muffed, he annoyingly tapped on the window. "Come on!"

The girl released a small exhale, reminding herself she had agreed to this, after all, and it would be rude to back out. It wasn't a comforting thought, but it spurred her into action, and she slowly made her way out of her car. Her face was twisted grumpily, she knew, and – with great effort – she forcibly smoothed it into one of cool neutrality. 

"You're weird." Quil observed offhandedly, throwing her a glance as he strolled forward. Lucy sighed again, but with quiet reluctance, followed after him.

Her cousin threw open the doors to the garage, trudging unhurriedly inside. Lucy was vaguely surprised to note the interior was filled with miscellaneous items – she could make out a few ladders, paint tins, and rolled up carpet – amongst a wide variety of impressive-looking tools. There was a covered vehicle deeper inside, and Jacob Black himself was seated at a stool, polishing something.

"Yo," Quil greeted his friend, fist-bumping him or something. "Any changes?"

"Nah." Jacob replied easily, standing up, towel thrown over his shoulder.

The Ateara male frowned, clearly frustrated, and Lucy got the sense they were discussing pack-related matters. On the way there, Quil had vaguely explained that the rogue vampire was still a concern, and they were searching for her. She didn't particularly like to think about it – the very idea that there was a bloodthirsty, murderous creature on the loose sent shivers down her spine.

Especially one her cousin was expected to confront.

Apparently, this was their purpose in life – hunting vampires. Everything else was secondary. Their "alpha" was pushing them hard; Quil was exhausted, and she knew Jacob missed school today to patrol. She didn't like that her cousin's education and health were being compromised by some sad excuse of a man.

Because whilst Lucy had spent the last half an hour in the library, studying math with Embry after school, Quil was stuck in detention. For what – she had deduced was falling asleep in class. To say she was unimpressed was an understatement. Of the myriad of reasons to get detention, falling asleep was by far the lamest, and she sternly demanded he needed to rest. But, like the little shit he was, her advice was merely brushed aside.